terbinafine

Posted , 6 users are following.

was recently prescribed terbinafine for one of toes after 2 month i have had to stop due to being ill it is so horrible

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hope you have not lost your sense of taste as so many as well as myself have. I seem to be much more tired and have a constant coating in my mouth with small ulcers. I would be interested to know what symptoms you have. Hopefully it will be a short duration. 
  • Posted

Hi, I'm sorry to hear that you've been so I'll and hope you feel better soon. I took terbinafine for 3 weeks and stopped about 6 weeks ago due to developing an allergic reaction to it with hives all over my body. Whilst I was taking it and ever since I have also developed a tremor in my jaw, it is very slight but noticeable to me, and others if I put my teeth together. My legs also feel like they are buzzing, ie the nerves in them. It's pretty irritating and worrying for me. I think it is due to the medicine but my doctor does not as she says it would be out of my system by now. Does anyone else have anything similar ie twitching nerves / tremors. Many thanks.
  • Posted

It took exactly 4 months, 16 weeks for my loss of taste to return and it happened overnight as quickly as I had lost it overnight. It was the most awful experience ever. But since then there have been other things that have occurred that I never had previously. Stomach disorders mainly, sleep disturbances and sudden flare ups of eczema which is annoying for that was what I took Terbinafine for to get rid of.

The yucky extra saliva that comes with terbinafine use and loss of taste seemed to ooze out of my gums. It was foul. The worst of all thing that occurred was in desperation to taste anything sweet I was cramming my beverages with up to 5 teaspoons of sugar and I rarely have more than 1 level spoonful. I still could not taste the sugar at 5 spoonfuls so went on to 6. At 6 I barely tasted it. This went on for 4 months and left me with borderline Type 2 Diabetes. Terbinafine symptoms was like being on aroller coaster picking up speed and gathering moss along the way. I hope that it is banned from unsuspecting people being prerscribed it. My heart goes out to everyone who has or will about to suffer as I have and everyone here. Basically you just have to sit it out and be patient. Your taste will return in its own time. You cannot hurry it.

• Posted

Hi have you fully recovered from your terbinafine experience? I stopped taking it about 7 weeks ago all I can taste is salt and the nausea I experience every day is driving me mad.
  • Posted

I started taking Terbinafine last Friday but after just a week I called my GP this morning to ask if there was an alternative drug I could try as I feel so ill - 24/7 nausea which is that bad it keeps me awake at night, feeling full/bloated all the time, lack of appetite - I normally have a healthy appetite but nothing takes my fancy at the moment, very 'sore'/painful feeling at the top of my stomach, just under my ribs. GP advised Terbinafine was the best drug to sort fungal nail infection but I think I'll live with that and just keep my toenails painted rather than feel like this for the next 3 - 6 months, which was the likely duration of drug therapy needed to treat the fungas. I just hope I start feeling better soon as feeling so awful like I do is getting depressing and thats only after a week :-(
    • Posted

Hi if I were you I would stop taking this medication,after five weeks I felt terrible and I lost my sense of taste.Ive been of the drug for five weeks now and I still feel rough and my taste has not returned.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.