Terbinafine

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi Help this is terrible... beware of Terbinafine.....I could not understand why my husband's usually amazing tomato soup tasted so horrible and musty....Since then, 4 days ago ,I have had a terrible metalic/sour taste in my mouth after eating all kinds of food. Fruit, sandwiches, cheeses, chocolate, spicy meals, hot teas whatever. I have not only lost my sense of taste but now get this nasty bitter aftertaste after taking a few bites of food.....

Thanks for this forum...I know what has happened and am horrified that it might take me several months to recover...

I usually stay well away from medications but I was worried that a ringworm infection was not improving with the cream I was given and would spread so took what the doc gave me. Took the Terbinafine for about 3 weeks and had 4 to go when out of the blue this happened. As soon as I realized it could be medication I stopped taking it.

I am 60.. a little plump (I love all kinds of food and am a vegan and my hubby is a wonderful cook) but otherwise very healthy.

It is shocking and very upsetting to think this might go on for several months...The only good thing is I will probably loose weight because I almost dread eating...

I am stunned the doc did not warn me and am heading back to demand some help....

Does Zinc work or does it have side effects also?

Like other posters I took my taste buds for granted and the thought of never being able to taste food or ending up with a bitter aftertaste is depressing to say the least.....

Thanks for the suggestions and advice. I will try to be patient.

Does anyone know a way to flush it out or why exactly it happens? There must be a scientific explanation and cure...

Any taste bud experts out there please help!

I

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Margaret

I'm sorry to hear that you're going through this too! I took this medication over 4 years ago. I was on it on three weeks and I started to notice that might taste was totally off. I too stopped taking terbinafin,e but I’ll have to let you know that it took about four weeks for my taste to come back to normsl; l and from all that I’ve read everyone gets their taste back again. I don’t know what there is out there to make it go away, but I think all of the chemicals or whatever terbinafine has in it just has to get totally out of your system. Good luck to you!

• Posted

Hey Margaret, Sorry you are going through this, I am in the same boat. I took Terbinafine for 58 day, My taste has been gone for about 3 or 4 weeks now. I know how depressing this can be. Hang in there, from all I read, the taste will come back at some point.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.