Terbinafine and loss of taste

Posted , 2 users are following.

My gp gave me terbinafine for 45 days for an infection in my fingernail. About 5 weeks in i lost my sense of taste. In hindsight it probably started 4 weeks in as i was not enjoying certain foods but i didn't realize what was beginning to happen. i finished the script almost 2 weeks ago and still have no taste or a bland pasty feeling, difficult to explain but is pretty awful. Can only tolerate a few foods. green leaf lettuce, a ceasar salad dressing and cooked carrots, and steak and bacon which are not foods i usually like and very rarely eat. i can also eat chocolate twizzlers though i cant taste them i can tolerate the texture. i do not look forward to eating. Sweet things, and white things are the worst. I' ve lost ten pounds. Has anyone had this side effect from terbinafine? I know it doesn’t sound serious but it really is a most depressing hard to deal with situation. Honestly it’s the worst to cope with than some surgeries I’ve had. Any advice someone may have it. Honedtly it’s the worst and harder to cope with than some surgeries I’ve had. Any advice someone may have who's been in a similar situation I would really appreciate to hearing from you, thanks Chris

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Edited

Hi chris! I am sorry about this side effect you're experiencing with Terbinafine. I too, was affected by loss of taste as well with certain foods. I was taking it for about 20some to 30 days and then got back on it for about 13 days. Its funny because I didnt know to stop taking it once this symptom appeared towards the last two weeks of taking it! I just continued it, I thought curing my Ringworm was way better than the loss of taste from the Terb. Sure enough it cured. anyways, so i finished my med in the middle of september, and was already losing sense of taste early September. Completely finished the med MID SEPTEMBER. Weeks went by with no taste..It is now October and fully have my sense of taste back! It took about 4 weeks to 5 weeks id say for it to be 100% back! Just hang in there for most people it DOES come back. Have faith! I once read it takes majority of people average of 6 weeks for taste to come back, body recover internally from the med. Mine kinda came back out of nowhere was a happy surprise. Take care!! i did not lose my appetite by the way.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.