Terbinafine loss of taste.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been reading all of these older posts. I realize it has been sometime so I don't know it anyone has experienced this issue with using Terbinafine tables recently. I started taking this medication about 6 weeks ago and now have lost my sense of taste. I can completely sympathize with all of you. I never realized how not being able to taste would effect a person. I am wondering now if anyone has come up with anything that would possible bring back the sense of taste faster. Someone on here had mentioned steriods but I can not seem to find anything online that discusses that further.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Edited

Have you made a full recovery? I lost my taste just over a fortnight ago and am utterly, utterly miserable.

• Edited

yes, it took about 12 weeks or so but yes a full recovery. Try pretzels, walnuts and cucumbers. Those all had a little bit of taste. Hang in there!

• Posted

I totally sympathize with you. It's an awful experience. Mine happened overnight as well. I did have a full recovery. There were many weeks I thought it would never come back. It took about 8/9 weeks for me to notice any improvement. I would say I had a total recovery in 12 weeks. I found that whole foods taste the best. Sweet taste takes the longest to come back. Pistachios and popcorn were good snacks. Vegetables like green peppers and cucumbers were also ok. I found that the more bland food was the more I could tolerate it. It will get better, you just have to be patient.

• Posted

Hi somenumbers, looks like you brought the gang back together again. I too had a full recovery, but it is a guess as to how long. The taste went away abruptly but returned very very slowly over weeks. I think I had descent improvement 6-7 weeks and I'll go with Abbi with the 12 week full recovery, but again it was so slow that it is hard to nail down the time. During that time, there were good days and bad days, ups and downs. I too heard it could be permanent, but haven't seen any first hand accounts. I'm confident you will fully recover.

• Posted

Well I'm now just over six weeks in. The foul taste had subsided and - for the past two weeks - I had been perceiving probably about 20-30% of the flavour of most foods, with only bread, cheese and potatoes still having the foul taste.

Today, it somehow seems to have gotten worse again. I have a disgusting taste in my mouth that I can't get rid of with mouthwash, extra strong peppermints or wasabi paste.

Makes working quite difficult, as I can't really concentrate.

• Posted

Thank you both for the encouragement by the way, and apologies for the whinge. I think my family and friends are just sick of hearing about it. People who haven't experienced it just can't seem to grasp how depressing and disheartening it is.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.