Terbinafine reaction- Debilitating joint and muscle pain

Posted , 6 users are following.

After 5 weeks on Terbinafine I developed severe joint pain, muscle soreness, blurred vision and could smell a bad smell that wasn't there. 4 days after ceasing the medication the vision and smell problems have gone but absolutely no change in the pain. I can barely walk and cannot lift even a fork properly. Typing is only just possible! Has anyone had a similar problem and how long did it take to resolve?  Any proposed treatments?

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Suzanne,

I took terbinafine for about 20 days when I realised that it was the cause of my taste loss. That loss of taste lasted 16 weeks and strangely it was only unrelated mouth surgery to file my jawbone that corrected matters and gave me back my taste

I have noticed muscle weakness, sudden loss of strength, it has troubled me for I will be 60 this year and I have been thinking age has sped up on me. The glands at the back of my head are always swollen and painful. My legs, arms and shoulders ache. I went back to taking MSN supplements as these are wonderful pain reducers of athritus if taken daily.

I have a kennels and what was once a doddle to do with the dogs has become a chore but it all happened overnight a few weeks ago. It has lasted weeks now. In a way I am glad to have found a possible culprit but in another I think what more can this drug do, and why is it still being given to unsuspecting people?

You know my dogs have to have tests to see if they will have an allergic reaction to certain drugs, and its a pity doctors cannot do the same with people before they tell us to take any drug for X number of weeks.

So sorry this has happened to you too.

Wendy.

• Posted

Hi Wendy-

Did you recover from your symptoms? 

• Posted

Hi Suzanne, I assume you have been back to the prescribing doctor?  Have you filled in a yellow card?  I'll post the link separately because it might take a while to be approved!

Some years ago, I had problems with a rash, which my GPs didn't recognise, one of them had the bright idea that I had ringworm and prescribed Terbinafine.  That immediately triggered the most enormous blisters on my feet.  These were diagnosed as Bullous Pemphigoid - which would explain the original rash.  The diagnosis was subsequently changed to Mucous Membrane Pemphigoid.

I didn't have the pain that you speak of but do report it.

• Posted

What is a yellow card?
    • Posted

I've sent you the link,  I am assuming you are in the UK.  If you are elsewhere in the world,  I don't know the system anywhere else.

• Posted

Thank you I hathank you I've filled in the yellow card Everyone here must do likewise re Terbinafine.
  • Posted

Thanks for your replies and sympathy. It is day 7 now and I can walk again unassisted, albeit in a lot of pain. I can now use my hands for most things although painfully. Extreme arthralgia is apparently a documented side effect according to the article below from a medical journal on drug reactions. I am seeing a fourth doctor tomorrow to see if there is any treatment recommended, The previous 3 have been offhand when I mention that this is a side effect of the drug and havent even looked up the possibility of side effects of Terbinafine. One said, "it is a very safe drug"! I think these forums indicate this is not the case. I suspect steroid medication might diminish the inflammation causing the pain. I have been taking celery seed tea which is also an ant-inflammatory.

Article and Link:

Association between terbinafine and arthralgia, fever and urticaria: symptoms or syndrome? Eugène P. van Puijenbroek MD1                         http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/pds.581/abstract;jsessionid=0D3155B639F0636A0293BC40577BE900.f01t03

• Posted

I havent filled in a yellow card as I am Australia
    • Posted

I have found the Australian equivalent

https://www.ebs.tga.gov.au/ebs/ADRS/ADRSRepo.nsf?OpenDatabase

• Posted

The article I referred to (Puijenbroek and others) stated that all people with this syndrome recovered. Meds used were in one instance: ibuprofen, in another, terfenadine, prenisolone and promethazine; in another, diclofenac and domperifone. It is suspected to be an autoimune reaction. I am pleased that I will eventually recover by the sound of things although there was no timeline given. I now have information to give the doctor. It is really annoying that you have to pay doctors to get treatment while you do all the research for them!
  • Posted

Hi Suzanne-

I was googling symptoms that have been plauging me on and off for the past year and your post came up. I have never heard someone else describe exactly what I was going through. "It is day 7 now and I can walk again unassisted, albeit in a lot of pain. I can now use my hands for most things although painfully. " I have never taken terbinafine. Did you recover? Was it a drug side effect as you thought it was? Thank you so so much for an update.

• Posted

Hi I just came across this while desperately trying to work out why I've had the most horrible back pain in my kidney area for 9 days. I finished a month long course of terbinafine 6 days ago (did not touch my ringworm) and I've been left with this horrible pain that is making my job and home life so hard. I've also got a horrible itchy rash with raised red patches it's driving me crazy. Between the itching and the pain I feel like I'm an old lady, I'm 40. Can anyone advise how long it takes for these horrible symptoms to go away? Thanks in advance.

• Posted

I just can from the Dr today about my elbow joints popping and told him it started doing that ironically a lill while after when I was taking it turbinafine

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.