Terbinafine tablets lost my taste buds,Can I get them back.

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have had a skin infection on my foot for some months and have been taking Terbinafine tablets along with the anti fungal cream the foot is come a long way but still having trouble with cracking.  Also I have lost my taste buds.  It is horrible I just can not taste any food.  What shoulkd I do 

Thanks Pam.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I lost my taste with terbinafine and it took 11 or 12 weeks for it to get back to normal.  It was a gradual process.  Just keep testing it with different foods and eventually you'll notice the different types of taste (sweet, salty, bitter, etc) come back separately.  Sweet was the last thing to come back for me. 
    • Posted

John, my loss was seven weeks ago and I noticed that you regained your taste at 11 to 12 weeks. Since age is a factor could you tell me if you are 60 or over and do you have a low BMI ? I understand it to be worse with those two factors.
  • Posted

Hi Pam -

I was on terbinafine for 7-8 weeks when I pretty completely lost my taste over the course of just a couple of days.  I stopped taking it about two days after I realised what was going on.  That was about four weeks ago.  Over the past week or so salty has just started to come back, but still no sign at all of sweet.  Some things (like asparagus?!) are pretty much normal, but most things are either tastless, off, or dreadful...wine is utterly disgusting.

Fingers crossed everything will return, but from my experience and what I've read online, it looks like it will be a slow process.  Like John said, people say it seems to take 2-4 months to return. 

• Posted

Hi Pam,

As your post was around 8 months ago, hopefully you will be beck to normal now. 

I would be interested to hear how long it took. After six weeks on Terbinafine I developed loss of taste too. It started about a week ago and everything I eat and drink now just has a salty cardboard flavour.

My doctor, surprisingly, wasn't aware of this so-called side-effect and I am taking the issue up with the Practice Manager at my health centre. I am 68 and have a low BMI, both of which, I understand, doesn't help with this problem.

I really hope the problem has left you and that you are back to where you were with your enjoyment of food and drink.

Best wishes,

John. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.