Terbinafine/Taste loss

Posted , 3 users are following.

I took terbinafine for exactly 30 days for a toenail infection. On day 30 i noticed my morning coffee tasted salty and 'thick'. I stoppped the drug immediately. It has been 3 weeks and now i cannot taste anything 😦 The sour and bitter taste in my mouth seems to always be present. Sugar tastes absolutely horrible! I have been to 3 doctors and no one can help me or explain this. I was told to try zinc and also that i may be permanent. This has actually caused me to overeat trying to feel satisfied and taste something.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi. This was exactly my experience a while back. I too was told it could be permanent but gradually it did clear certain tastes returning quicker than others. I know your frustration. I actually filled in a yellow card from the NHS so they could follow up on drugs that cause nasty side effects and I urge you to do the same as the more people do this then the GPs are more aware. It does seem a lifetime whilst waiting for your taste to return and sweet taste for me took the longest. Chocolate in particular!!!!! Funnily enough cucumber was my only normal taste and I was never a fan before that was strange. Good luck and try not to get too despairing. Lynne x

• Posted

Hi Lynne,

Thanks for your response! How long would you say it took for any tastes to come back? Weeks, months? Did it happen all at once? Would you say you are back to normal now??

• Posted

Hi Nicole. Yes taste back to normal now. It took about 12 weeks to fully return. Some tastes came back after 8 weeks. It was the most depressing feeling ever going through those weeks and the doctors advice with zinc wasnt helpful and to be told it may never return!!!!!! I used this forum and got lots of help from other sufferers especially from USA where I believe the drug has now been banned but do not quote me on this. I know what you are going through but it does get better. Keep going and all the best. Lynne x

• Posted

hi nicole, I've been going through tgis for exactly 2 weeks. Please tell me your taste has returned by now. Any tips you can give me? This is such a horrible experience!

• Posted

hi! yes my taste returned. i would say it took about 12 weeks. It was horrible. I was scared that it would never return. It did fully return. Hang in there. I am 100 percent convinced it was the terbinafine.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.