Terbinafine - to take or not to take?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I recently went to a pediotrist because I have nail fungus on all 10 toes. I have had it for several years but over the last 2 years it's gotten really bad to the point where I can't clip my nails. My Dr prescribed me Terinafine and I'm very,very weary to start the treatment. I filled the presciption yesterday but after reading one horror story after another I'm thinking I might call the Dr to see if we can go the topical route instead of oral. I am terrified to lose my taste and damage my liver just to get nice feet.

Has anyone had a good experience on this medicine? (other than clear toes) Anyone NOT lose their taste for a long period of time? or NOT experience vomiting, stomach cramps and even hair loss?

I don't know what to do, I am so embarrassed and self concious about my feet and hide them every time I take my socks off, but is it worth losing my sense of taste and damaging the rest of my body?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi I took this drug for 5 weeks I had to stop because I felt so sick,I also lost my sense of taste.Its been three weeks since I stopped and I still can't taste.My advice is don't take this drug it's not worth the risk.
    • Posted

Thank you for your feedback! I haven't seen any good reviews whatsoever, it's all the same over and over again with taste loss, stomach pain, nausea and extreme rash.
  • Posted

It really isn't worth it my toenails are really bad but I wish I'd never taken this drug and I've no idea when my sense of taste will return.
    • Posted

Did you ask your Dr for a topical medicine? Did he have any advice to offer you? From what I've read it can take up to 8wks or 18 months. It seems like the people who finished the full 12wks took the longest but most comments I see people stop taking the pills around 4-5 wks and still have to wait like 8 wks to get their tasts back.
  • Posted

He mentioned a nail paint but at the moment my main concern is my taste,I also have this strong salty taste in my mouth that makes me nauseated most of the day.Dont let anyone persuade you to take it the way it's made me feel is not worth it for a fungal nail infection.
    • Posted

Thank you so much! I think I'm going to pass on this drug and ask him for something else that I can put on my nails. I'm so embarrassed to show my feet, I would really like to be normal but not if it means other worse problems. I'm so sorry for your experience and I hope that you feel better soon!
  • Posted

Thanks I'm not trying to be a scare monger I'm sure lots of people are fine taking this drug but you might end up being one of the many it seem who's not.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.