TERRIBLE DRY MOUTH! Will it ever go away?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Started on sertraline 50mg for depression/anxiety. After 4 weeks of suffering a terrible dry mouth, dr switched me to citalopram 40mg ..2 weeks later and still dry. I've tried everything, avoiding caffeine, sucking on sugar free candy/gum, Biotene products. I feel better emotionally but may need to come off this too. Anyone experience this and will it stop?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi there took me about 8 for dry mouth to go away that is one of the side effects.but hang in there it’s worth it.x
    • Posted

Thank you for your words of encouragement. I'll give it a couple more weeks!

• Posted

yeah I had this for a while. It does ease after a bit.  Make sure you stay hydrated.
    • Posted

Good to hear! Mayb I just need to give it more time. Hopefully the insomnia will ease with it!
    • Posted

yeah I had bad insomnia on 40mg but better on 30mg
  • Posted

Dry mouth is an overlooked problem. It can be realy unconfortable

Dry mouth can make you feel anxious. An anxiaty can bring you dry mouth. Witch comes first? I talked openly to my dentist. It was getting me crasy. Sometime it feels like all my mouth is burning.... You have to choose a mild toothpast use it in small amount, avoid using arsh moutwash. Finally somebody understood what I was saying. I almost cried. I ve been using xylimelts since then. Plus

Xylitol gums etc. It's no miracle but it gives me a sens of taking the problem in my hands. And it does help. Taking the time to feel fresh water in my mouth is also conforting. Just know that dry mouth is not a so mild problem.. Even of it is not dangerous...

• Posted

Thank you! Luckily it's not making me anxious but it really is so uncomfortable! I have been using the Biotene products(plus gum), including the slow melting discs that adhere to the teeth/gums which are a godsend, especially at night. Some days are better than others! I've had to give up on tea as well which stinks! It's been 7 weeks or so since starting my meds. I'm hopeful this gets better. If not, I may come off. Can't live like this long term. Thanks for understanding!

• Posted

I think it's quite common and does go away, I seem to get most of the side effects but not this one.

• Posted

I’m almost through week 5, drink probably 6-8 pints water every day.... still dry mouth. I try to focus breathing through my nose. Helps a bit... 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.