Terrible pain after gallbladder surgery.

Posted , 7 users are following.

I had gallbladder surgery 10 years ago.   Two days after my surgery I developed severe gas problems.  About a year after that I also developed terrible pain in the upper right quadrant.  My GP said I have Irritable Bowel Syndrome caused by no gallbladder, and dumping syndrome, which is the bile dumping from the liver into the small intestine, which causes cramping, spasms and severe pain.  My worst pain is towards morning, after I have been in bed for hours.  Sometimes the pain is very severe.  I take pain medication and stay in bed until I feel some better.  I have constipation, which is probably from the pain medication.  I have found a doctor on the internet that treats colon problems such a colitis and irritable bowel syndrome caused by no gallbladder.  He says he can help people if they follow his instructions for three months, which includes what to eat and medications that he supplies at a cost.  His name is Dr. David Dahlman:  Conquering Irritable Bowel Syndrome:  How to Become Symptom Free.  Have any of you heard about him or tried what he has to offer?  I am seriously considering doing what he has to say and taking the natural medications that he has to offer.  I can no longer take the terrible pain I have been having and want my life back.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

It sounds like you need to treat the constipation.  Movicol is very good.  You can get all sorts of issues from severe constipation.  Plus you can get issues where the gallbladder used to be.  It might be worth checking those out too.  I personally don't believe in the diagnosis of ibs, I think it is a lazy doctors diagnosis that is used instead of finding out what is actually causing the awful systems that fall under that particular umbrella.  Good luck.
  • Posted

Hi Joanne I had my gull bladder out about 18 mouths ago if I eat sertain foods I get bad tummy I also get a lot of wind gas coming from both ends feeling bolted and then some days I'm OK then some days I don't feel good so please let me know how you get on with this Dr
  • Posted

HI, I had my GB out 8 months ago and was left with the same problem eg pain round right side, gas, discomfort/pain round back including sharp pain at times. It is only now I have found out about the low FODMAP diet. I wish the hospital had mentioned this to start because it could have saved me months and months of discomfort. It seemed that everything I ate upset me at the time. I have been on the Fodmap diet and have found my triggers are soya, onion and peper also cabbage. I have been away for a few days and my health has been amazing no Gastritis syptoms (which was what they diagoned me with after gastroscopy) and my whole digestove system had settled so well I was on top of the world. I went out for a meal and has some red pepper over 3 days  and ate some sweets oh my gosh my  symptoms incuding the wind, constipation, pain round my back and front has come back with full force. I now know after 8 months of trial and error that it wasnt my GB causing the trouble but was Gastritis brought on by eating these things.I have more energy now since being on this. Previously I had ME and Fibromylagia but a lot of those symptoms disappear when I stick to the diet. So please give the LOW FODMAP diet a go you havent got anything to loose. You do it ofr 6 weeks then start to reintroduce things slowly and this helps you work out your triggers. I find it very improtant to keep a food diary too as you can then  work out what is triggering your symptoms.

I hope you can get some relief soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.