Terrible pain all over vulva area

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello again, I've been in really agonising pain for 12 weeks now. At first I thought it was an infected tear so was prescribed Amoxycillin which did help with the soreness of the skin, but it was the dreadful aching all over the vulva area that just continued.Three visits to dermatologist during that time and I eventually ended up in A&E I was in so much pain I could barely walk.I was examined thoroughly by a Gynaecologist Registrar The upshot of that A&E visit and the 3 Dermatologist visits resulted in them deciding it was Vulvodynia, and I've been prescribed 15mg Amytriptiline and to gradually introduce 300mg  Gabapentin daily. Co-codamol 4times daily and Oramorph when needed. Presently I'm up to 200mg Gabapentin and 15 mg  Amytriptiline but it doesn't seem to help much yet. Does anyone know how long it can take to help with the pain? I've been on 10 mg Amytriptiline for 16years and it's always helped but not this time. I'm at the end of my tether and spending most of the time in the house because it's so agonising and really difficult to walk about. Does anyone have any ideas how long these medications can take to kick-in? Please help, really desperate now.

0 likes, 52 replies

52 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Yvonne

So sorry to hear about this, hopefully the treatment your on will kick in soon and give you some relief, can't believe you had to go umpteen times before getting diagnosed, do you think the lichen planus caused this ?

I'm still the same Yvonne scratching everywhere and sore mouth it's a terrible disease x. Hugs Karen

• Posted

Hi Yvonne,  I know your pain...I've had this a couple of times in the past.  I did find that zinc oxide cream helped me some. So if you have some handy you might want to try it and see if it helps at all.  Certainly won't hurt you.  Also, you might consider Manuka honey. Be certain to purchase a good grade. It has been medically proven and accepted by medical professionals as an excellent healing salve. It's a bit pricey...but a small jar lasts a long time as you just use a pea size amount and rub it in at night before bed.  I scoop a little out with a clean cotton swab.  It also is a great wound healer...so if you get a tear or fissure...is great for that as well.  Good luck...hope you are better soon.
  • Posted

Doe a warm bath help to relax you?

or perhaps a warm hot water bottle to the area - or maybe an ice pack covered witha cloth so it isnt too cold, sometimes alternating the warm and the cold can help

Have you seem the device called a vagi wave i noticed that someone withthe condition mentioned - if you look it up you may find it of help

It sound horrible for you I really sympathise. Some people find mindful meditation helps their pain a great deat so may be that could help too

With the co codamol and the oramorph do take stool softeners and drink A LOT of water - try and eat  high fibre veg - cabbage / colslaw and the like, broccoli is good too, you will find the medications can "bind" you up , and constipation is THE  LAST thing you need just nnow!

Good Luck

Sue

• Posted

Hi Yvonne, gosh I'm sorry to hear that your in such pain. What initially triggered the pain or did it start randomly? I'm assuming you have LS?

I've been treating my LS since January and despite some itching (not sure why I've developed this as I'm using a steroid. I never had the itching) I am in pain too. The pain is like a deep pain in the vulva, not really superficial as in I don't think it's coming from the skin itself. I'd describe the pain as stinging, burning and aching.

Is the pain constant or does it wax and wane? Does it feel better at certain times of the day? I also spend most of the time in the house as walking and being out and about for long periods of time exacerbates the problem. It's miserable. Hopefully the medications start helping. These things usually take some time.

I'm going to see my doctor next week and will have to run this past her as I'm also pretty fed up.

• Posted

Hi ladies

All us ladies are having a pretty bad time with these issues just not fair men get away with murder, I suffer to I thought after having treatment over 10 years ago for abnormal cervical cells was the end of it but obviously not, I'm now going through a divorce

because of this he's gone off with someone else I'm in so much stress lately which isn't helping

• Posted

Hi Karen

Your divorce must be awful for you on top of everything else. Sex isn't the be all and end all for women but it appears to be for men. Try not to get too stressed and remember that everything happens for a purpose!

• Posted

Thankyou carmarie

I am definitely not interested now in another man I'm 57 and wouldn't trust the best of them Iv been married 20 years he's lead a double life for the last three it's all the lies and deceit, do you suffer with this awful disease

• Posted

Hi Karen

So sorry to hear about divorce, but you know what.... if this is what he does then it definitely is not worth stressing over. Things happen for a reason and eventually you will be much better off. Try to concentrate only on your health and getting the LS/LP under control. Main priority now. Much love and hugs. xoxo

• Posted

I went through a bad divorce...cheating...abusive...I finally realized I was so much more that what he was making me believe of myself. Do what makes you happy. Possibly this is a time for you to pursue a vacation you have always wanted to take...or a hobby.  It's time to just take care of you. Give yourself a big hug...you are worth being loved.  Keep good friends around you...find a little joy in every day.
    • Posted

Just to clear something up men also suffer this condition.  I feel sorry for anyone who doesn't have an understanding partner when this problem rears it's ugly head.  You do not need to be with someone who makes you feel uncomfortable about an illness that is definately not your fault.  I agree time to take care of yourself and definately do something for yourself not others.  Look for the good in people, there are men out there who want a companion rather than a sex partner.    Don't cross them all off your list Karen or Renee.  Just give yourself the hug and yes we are definately all worth more than being made to feel bad for having this condition.  I believe in Karma and given time I am sure your ex's will pay for their poor treatment of you both.  I divorced uncaring men twice and now have a great marriage. No sex but the greatest friend you could wish to have. I also believe that good friends are important and yes look for the joy in life and the little things will make your life much happier.  Happy days are ahead I'm sure.
    • Posted

Thankyou chrissy

You are right I would be lost without my family and friends and I love chatting on here to you girls I don't feel so alone then,

I am in court next Friday about the financial stuff I really don't want to look at his slimey cheating face, my youngest daughter is coming with me he hasn't seen her since he left but she has got no time for him now she hates him after all his deceit.

Lovely to hear from you again Chrissy keeps me going, hope you are well, this hot weather is driving me nuts constantly sweating how are you with the heat.

Take care speak soon Xx

• Posted

I was married to my first husband for 17 years...took me awhile to wise up. I had two children...and thought they needed him. Been married to the current husband for 26 years...and he like your husband is my best friend. The first husband due to his anger issues has suffered a lot of stress related illnesses...and is now terminally ill.  I take no joy in that, but do believe he brought it on himself. I take things mostly in stride these days...no use fretting about things you can not change. Better to just look to the good each day brings and shrug off the other whenever it is possible to do so.
    • Posted

Good luck in Court.  I used to be in court a lot through my work and found that to make sure I was comfortable with proceedings you just have to tell the truth and if you don't know the answer to something just admit that you don't know rather than make something up.  It is honest to admit you don't know something.  Don't allow them to rush you either. 

I love the sun and heat.  Wish I could live somewhere hot but hubby won't leave the North East.  He loves his sea fishing.  Have fans all over house to cool off if I need to, but not often now since I am starting to exit the menopause at long last. Linen loose trousers are the answer for me.  Lovely and cool.  Take care xxx

• Posted

Thanks for the advice chrissy actually I had a letter from the court this morning saying he wants the house sold and an equal share, he has a cheek I'm not prepared to do that I'm 10 years older than him he can get another mortgage and I can't I just hope this gets sorted or the judge gets to make the decision.

Going back to the lichens chrissy do you still have smear test and are they really uncomfortable ? And also do you experience any hairloss on vulva xx

• Posted

Hi Karen, my niece from Perth WA says they dampen a sheet and  have a fan on at night so that way they have a cool night's sleep! Drink A Lot of water too.  At night have all the windows  open if you can and feel safe. As soon as the sun has any warmth close windows and the curtains and on with the fans. Stay inside as much as you can go commando move slowly...this last from a friend who lived in Brunei where the heat is humid too. All his movements arms as well are slow! Good luck

sue

• Posted

Thankyou for the advice sue I will definitely put that into practice Xx
    • Posted

No.  Had total hysterectomy so there is no cervix to do the test on.  Hairloss is common as we get older for some women.  I also suffer female pattern baldness.  Just starting and not a problem yet but my friend also suffering from Ls has lost a lot of hair from her head too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.