Terrible Pain Four Years Post TKR Scared

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello everyone,

Hope you are all keeping safe and well x

I’m four years post tkr but have recently experienced bouts of excruciating pain that radiates from the outside of my knee, down my leg and into my ankle. It’s got to the point where I can hardly weight bare and nearly collapsed into a pile on to the floor yesterday which was really scary. It seems that each bout of pain is getting progressively worse and today it made me cry. it's slightly swollen so have been icing and taking pain relief to no avail. For obvious reasons I really don’t want to bother my GP with something that’s not life threatening as I think they have enough to deal with at the moment but I’m scared It’ll get to the point where I can’t walk at all. Has anyone else had this happen so long after their tkr? Thank you very much to anyone that replies x

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I am having problems 11 months on from TKR, mine is excessive scar tissue.

I would phone your doctors ASAP and get the wheels in motion for a check up as soon as they re open or sooner !!!!

• Posted

Thank you for replying to my post. I wonder if it could be that? I'll keep you updated. Good luck with your ongoing recovery and hope you get some relief soon x

• Posted

if your knee has limited range of movement it could be excessive scar tissue? it might also be muscle waste around the knee causing aching? Get an appointment with a knee surgeon asap for a check up! Good luck!x

• Posted

I am not 4 years after surgery, but am 18 months and get that pain as well. My chiropractor said that I needed to stretch out my calf muscles as that was where the muscle was pulling causing the pain in the side of my calf. She suggested a stretch which involves standing on the bottom step of your stairway, rest ball of feet on step and let your heel drop down. Be sure to hold the handrail and secure yourself so not to lose your balance when stretching. Took a few days, but the pain disappeared. There are other calf stretches as well that can be done if you google it. Hope this solves the problem, but if not, definitely call the doctor

• Posted

Thank you very much for your advice. I'm going to leave it over the weekend and see how it is on Monday and if no better attempt to get hold of my doctor. Took a step and nearly passed out today which I know isn't right but I just want to give it a couple more days to try and settle down.

• Posted

I hope you find some answers. One other thing that works for me is applying castor oil around my knees and the area of my leg that is bothering me, wrap in plastic wrap, and apply heat (heating pad or other source) for minimum of 10 minutes, this activates the castor oil. I sleep with this on and when I get up in the morning the difference is amazing. This was recommended by a naturopath and has saved my sanity and gave me pain relief. Best thing is not having to take any medication to find relief.

• Posted

Thanks for the tip. I would never had thought of that and I'll definitely have a go x

• Posted

I would enjoy hearing your results if you try this. I have passed this natural treatment to others, who tell me that they couldn't believe the difference it makes, which is exactly how I felt. something so simple that works. If you Google castor oil uses, it's amazing all the things it does.

• Posted

So today I decided enough is enough and spoke to my GP over the phone. To be honest I thought he'd just prescribe stronger meds and see how it goes but he said he wants to try and arrange an urgent xray but if the hospital won't see me then he's going to send me to A&E (gulp). I think hes concerned about it potentially being fractured. I know its bloody painful but anyone know why in this current climate why this would this be classed as urgent? it's got me worried and I really dont want to ho anywhere near a hospital

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.