Terrible side effects from the generic liothyronine is cytomel better?

Posted , 14 users are following.

I had a total thyroidectomy almost two years ago and was placed on synthroid then unithroid and was still experiencing exhaustion, shortness of breath, weight gain, etc.. I finally found an endocrinologist who was willing to prescribe T3. I was feeling wonderful for the first two weeks (like my old self) then started to experience, terrible headaches, stomach aches, high blood pressure. My dosage was 5 mcg, 1 tablet and 1/2 a day. I cut back to one tablet...still headaches. Came off the generic and now am returning back to my exhausted self.

Has anyone else had this experience? I want to try cytomel (the name brand) but am unsure if I will experience the same side effects. I've love to hear from any one who may have had the same experience.

Thanks.

2 likes, 44 replies

44 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

ME!!!

Trying to see if brand name will have same side effect because sure can’t take lyo.

I went off and sides disappeared but the depression back also.

Went back on generic: rash, headache , edema, itching, eyes wayyy bloodshot especially my right eye which I ended up with optic neuritis and kept losing my sight in right eye. 

My neuro is an idiot so no help there.

No more lyo. 

Wish somebody else would talk about the brand name cytomel.

Oh yes, lumps on thyroid swelling again

• Posted

I have not had my throid removed, however, I have hashimotos thyroiditis and have had two metabolic collapses as a result.  I am 5’4” tall, and at my heaviest I weighed 320 lbs. (18 years ago).  It took 18 months with diet and exercise but I lost over 200lbs and kept it off for 10 years until I had my second metabolic collapse.  Where I had to lose 90lbs (I still have 40lbs to go).  Turned out my Synthroid was reverting backwards and not converting the T4 into beneficial T3, causing me to experience weight gain, fatigue, along with low body temperatue 95° in lieu of 98.7°, causing regular pimples to turn into abcesses and cystic acne (very painful).  I now take 25mcg of liothyronine 3x/day and took me 100% off of the T4 (Synthroid).  It is a blessing!

I also take 200mcg of Selenium every morning with my first dose.  The acne and abcesses have ceased, and weight is slowly going down.  I am greatful to have a chance to feel somewhat normal.

• Posted

Ccarter, thank you for posting and for your history. While sorry for your difficulties, I appreciate your story and can relate.
    • Posted

Thank you.   I have hereditary thyroid disease, and I was diagnosed at 16. My mother and grandmother had Graves’ disease, but on the first one and four generations to have Hashimoto’s. I was diagnosed I was 16, but I was not told about my diagnosis since until I was 29 and lost a baby in utero in the fifth month. All they said was That’s what happens when you have hypothyroidism. It was a blow, but an answer to fighting the yo-yo effects of being real thin, and real heavy. I’ve been fighting edima since I was 10,  and have been taking diuretics for 40 years because of it. It is nothing for my weight fluctuate 15 pounds just with water weight alone. I read all the horror stories about this medicine, but when you wrap your head around the fact that your medicinally dependent for the rest of your life to stay alive, the medicine is really a blessing. I’m just thankful that I have a means to keep my weight it normal weight, and have normal weight loss issues,  as opposed to being 326 pounds and having to lose the weight just stand up without being in pain. It could always be worse, this way I look at it. The sad thing is, I have three daughters, and each one of my daughters have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism, and my oldest daughter is 23 years old is been fighting Hashimoto’s and she was 14. The one thing I’ve learned from this experience , Is that if you’re not your own advocate, the doctors really don’t pay attention to you they pay more attention to the textbooks. These people have an issue with her thyroid because it will have the right doctor for their treatment. When they find the right doctor, things fall into place miraculously. But it is a joint effort and a lifestyle change to correct the situation.
    • Posted

Holy Moly, Your docs let you get in that kind of terrible shape, sick , OMG, my heart breaks. My anger also gets riled about "professionals" not paying attention. You have to do your research yourself and advocate for your 5'4" self LOL. I'd get well, the sue the crap out of them. That's just wrong. You do realize you most likely have autoimmune all over you now. The constant infections say so. Just take care of yourself and for goodness sake never take a doctors word for it. Check before and after them. That sounds awful of me but I've been in this system too long, nearly died 5 times in the ER but happened to have a nurse daughter and a nurse friend always with me to check behind them and make sure they didn't get sloppy. I kid you not if it weren't for the careflight team knowing more than the doctors I would have been a dead duck a long time ago. SELF ADVOCATE AND EDUCATE. Google LOL

• Posted

Hi Tooter, seems to me, we’re at the mercy of docs. They know the game, we don’t. By the time we figure it out that none of the treatments work, we’re in REALLY big trouble and too messed up to help ourselves!

Read enough of these posts and you have a chance to get ahead by knowing the progression of the disease, the treatment the effectiveness. I’ve seen way too many posts from people getting thyroidectomies, who’ve followed doctors’ advice and still wound up getting their thyroid removed. Way too many people who trade hyperthyroid for hypothyroid disease- what good is that!?

I’m not impressed with standard thyroid treatment protocols.

• Posted

i asked my doctor to put me on generic cytomil due to finances. two weeks in i am extremely bloated in the belly and sleeping poorly. could the change be the reason. Is there a difference in generic cytomil. Has anyone had this happen?

• Posted

Of all of the decisions I've made, I wish I could go back and not have Iodine Radiation on my thyroid. It was completely irradiated, with a high radiation dosage. At the time I had a toxic, multi nodular goiter and I was super hyper-thyroid. I had 1 endocrinologist available (very remote area), and he basically did not communicate. If I knew then what I know now, I would have at least had only 1/2 dose of radiation at a time to be more conservative.

Besides regrets, I also discovered that the generic L-thyroxine has such a wide margin of acceptable actual total mcgs, the quality control allows for it, that I cannot get my dosages stabilized on generics. The endocrinologists assc (I think) are the only group of MDs that opposed the generic use within these parameters. I now use brand L-thyroxine (very costly), and 5 mcgs cytomel. I've had every symptom, and accept some, keep fighting the others. The only way I keep my TSH and other levels within norms is taking 75 mcgs 6 days a week and 1/2 every 7th day. Every single one of us is like someone here said, as unique as a fingerprint. I have not felt like "myself " except 2 different days in 8 years.

I have heard nothing but wonderful things about armour but I've never found an MD (USA) willing to prescribe it and they said it can carry bovine illnesses in it which is way (sounds more like pharma scare tactics). All I know is a pill cannot be as dynamic and work as needed as our own systems and our metabolisms change throughout the day/night. I wish I could offer any solutions-my best advice is do your research first before any surgery or radiation and if you have a choice, get an endocrinologist that will listen.

• Posted

i found this discussion by an internet search for generic cytomel and gas/stomach pain. I've been taking half a pill for a few weeks and the stomach has been horrific. diarrhea and lots of gas and bloating and pain. currently laying on my bathroom floor crying in pain.

• Posted

Hello als1214, if you're that sick after only a week, you have your answer. Think forward to the years of potential damage this drug could do. Save yourself from autoimmune disease hell before its too late.

There are other much better solutions.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.