Terrible side effects upon dose increase to 30mg

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone. 

I just wanted to post post my mirtazapine experience here to get it off my chest and to get some advice hopefully. I've been on 15mg of mirtazapine for about a year and a half. I had a health scare back in 2015 and it shook me up so bad I developed horrible anxiety/depression. I was so desperate for relief I think I'd have probably taken anything I was prescribed against my better judgement. Anyhow, I've had a load of strange physical symptoms over the past year and have always thought something was seriously wrong with me, i.e. That I had some sort of disease or something. Well, I was just instructed to increase my mirt dosage a week ago and as it turns out, it seems all of my physical symptoms have been the mirt this whole time. Terrible back pain, dizzy spells, faster than normal heart rate, hot flashes, awful weakness... I experienced these symptoms for several months when starting the mirt, however between my anxiety, and the other meds I was being tried on at the same time, I never put 2 and 2 together. I thought the illness was getting worse... however, in light of all the symptoms resurfacing upon raising the dose it seems pretty obvious it's the mirt. 

Now i I have the dilemma of what to do next. I've been on the 30mg for a week. Do you think I'd be ok to drop back down to the 15mg without a taper? And then where do I go from there? I've read terrible horror stories about withdrawal from this drug. I know everyone is different, but I really don't feel prepared to endure withdrawal right now. But I don't want to continue to feel so awful. Damned if I do, damned if I don't situation. 

Anyhow, advice is greatly appreciated... also wanted to post my experience in case someone out there might be going through something similar and expects that perhaps the mirt is the cause. 

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

OMG!! I thought I was the only experiencing this! This drug is the devil! It has taken my life away completely. I've lost 19lbs on this drug. And I have no appetite. My anxiety is sky high. And everytime they up it everything gets worse. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.