Terrible trouble sleeping---use of pillows

Posted , 12 users are following.

I had my THR almost three weeks ago and physically I'm doing really well. I don't need sticks for walking although, of course,  I do use them for the stairs. 

The big problem I have is lack of sleep and after nearly three weeks it's beginning to really catch up on me. I find it very difficult to sleep on my back and if I'm lucky I might get 2/3 hours of sleep a night--as a result, I'm so tired during the day and actually dread going to bed at night!

When I left hospital the PT told me to sleep on my back for 6 weeks and if it was comfortable I could sleep on my operated side. Unfortunately, it's still too sore to sleep on that side so I'm now hoping to find a way to sleep on my "good" side.

Reading through the posts on this excellent forum it appears some of you have found ways to use a combination of pillows to make it safe to sleep on the good side but I'm very nervous to try because of the risk of discolation.

Does anyone have first hand experience of doing this successfully---or even the use of the purpose made slumber support mentioned in a couple of posts.

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Don, I had my replacement nearly 11months ago posterior. The first 6 weeks were hell sleeping on my back. I rolled up a towel and put that into the hollow of my back. It helped but couldn't sleep and like you it was 2 or 3 hours max. Even when I could lay on my side with a pillow it didn't improve. Had sleeping pills no joy! Went on a long haul flight last month and was so sleep deprived on the journey that I finally slept a minimum 6 hours. Bliss! I was told by physio I could lay on my operated side at 4 weeks it was hell so didn't try that again. I would say don't try and sleep on your side till doc reduces restrictions. I like you was petrified of a dislocation. Hope you get some sleep soon. 

• Posted

Hi Auntiebeanie, I've got so fed up with not sleeping I've ordered one of those specially designed slumber supports which, hopefully, will allow me to sleep on my good side.

• Posted

Hi Don,

Try putting pillow between your legs that way keeps your hips back aligned. It's still early

I had revision 2yrs ago still can't sleep on operative side for more than hour. I think if you find comfortable pillowt that should help.

Take care

Jackie

• Posted

Wow, I'm surprised you still can't sleep on your operative side for more than an hour. I hope that doesn't happen to me as my operative side is my favourite side to sleep!

• Posted

Hi Don,

Try putting pillow between your legs that way keeps your hips back aligned. It's still early

I had revision 2yrs ago still can't sleep on operative side for more than hour. I think if you find comfortable pillowt that should help.

Take care

Jackie

• Posted

I am 8 weeks post THR on my right side. I didn't sleep for weeks and I had no precautions at all so I was allowed to sleep any way. I can't sleep on my back so used a pillow between the legs and slept on my good side!! The sleep eventually comes back but it does take awhile. Hang in there!!

• Posted

Hi Sue, I'm very surprised that you had no precautions given to you following surgery.

• Posted

Wow sue im shocked you weren't given precautions advice too that's one thing that was drummed into me before and after surgery by the surgeon and physio. Sounds like you got away with it though 

• Posted

The nurses and physio told me that 95% of my surgeons patients do not have precautions. I guess it is the way he does the incision and places the new joint!! I only had 22 staples. I too was surprised as my preclinic nurses and physio and also drilled in precautions to me. Made life much easier. Now if my opposite knee would calm down I would be great!!!!

• Posted

hi don, 

I echo Annette's comments - I too was asked on 2nd night if I wanted to sleep on my side - was unoperated side with apillow between knees - I was hown how to turn and position so that leg would not cross - same post-op 2nd THR but then "good" side was still tender ...  

I did buy a full length body pillow and still squeezed a smaller one between knees - phew ... once comfortable, nature called and I had to get out to go to the bathroom ---

but it will get better - don't fret too much about it and take naps during the day -

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Unfortunately this is one of the down side we are all suffering. I sleep on and off all night. I have found myself napping through the day to catch up. I was told I could sleep on my good side if packed up with pillows ( between the legs and one behind me.) I'm 3 weeks post op and have not yet dare try this. Like everything it comes with time. Good luck on your recovery.

• Posted

Hi there I had my second hip eight days ago sleep on my back using one ordinary a pillow and one large v shaped pillow on top this prevents backache as you can pull the v pillow round your body, I do manage most of the night only getting up to visit bathroom and I normally sleep on my side.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.