Terrible Weight gain on Tibolone !

Posted , 7 users are following.

I had a total hysterectomy in 2006 after having 20 years of gynae operations for endometriosis, ovarian cysts etc. My consultant recommended that I take Tibolone to stop the endometriosis leasions from coming back. Since then I have put on approx 4 stone in weight even though I am an active person, I watch what I eat but now my dress size has gone up from a size 14 to my present size 22 in 2 years!! I am very depressed (even tho I am on anti-depressants) as my weight still continues to go up.

Do you think I need to go back to my GP to get reviewed by them and ask them to put me onto another HRT as I donot want to have night sweats etc but I can't cope with anymore weight gain. I cant even look at myself in the mirror at the moment as I'm not the same person that I was 2 years ago and I'm only 41 yrs old.

I know many other ladies out there have expreienced some weight gain being on Tibolone, but has the weight gain been as dramtaic as mine?

Help me before I get even more depressed....

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Snowbunny,

there is no way I would be happy in this state - you have to way up the pros and cons for every situation - go back and see your doctor and see if you can try something else - what is the point of being so miserable - for most people, there is always an alternative.

Good luck,

Bridget

• Posted

Hi, I have been on livial for only 6 weeks & have already put on 5 kilos & my stomach is really swollen. I go to the gym & walk but nothing is helping - hot flushes have been better but that's about it - I'm stopping as of now - I will put up with flushes & try something natural - I also have started to get pain in my joints - It's really not worth it - I feel fat & I've never been fat in my life & my husband can't believe how quickly I have put on weight. My advice is get off it - it's really not worth it.
  • Posted

Hi I'm slightly desperate... I have been on Livial (Tibolone) for just over 3 weeks and have been so poorly. It started with Headaches... that was about 2 days after and then since then my back, neck, knees...ANKLES are killing me.... I have been really careful with food and although I have had a few glasses of wine over xmas haven't had major binges or wine or food. I have gained 22.5 pounds in 3 weeks... I feel swollen.. I struggle to walk in the morning... I ended up at emergency docs this morning with tingling and heart palpatations. I feel really fed up as my doctor had to get a senior doctor to consult with but they havent told me whats going on.... They sent me for a blood test, told me to stop the Livial and thats it??????????? so what now... sat here in agony... can I take any pain killers???
  • Posted

Hi Snowbunny

just wondering how you are getting on?  I've been reading all livial posts, gets a very negative response.

Can I ask, did you stop livial and if so did your symptoms ease and weight returned to normal?

thanks

• Posted

Hi Snowbunny, 

I am nearly 70 and have been on Livial for around 20 yrs with zero side effects. Hooray for LIVIAL! For me it had been a life saver. So there are positive postings you see. It's a matter of finding the right one for you. I was lucky. Anyone not feeling happy with what they are taking should go back to their GP. 

• Posted

Hi, sorry to hear you are having problems too.I have been on Livial for just two months now, and have put on nearly two stones in weight.I'm gutted to say the least. Its a shame because they are starting to work for me. I am giving them another couple of weeks then I am returning to my GP. In the mean time I have started a diet to try and lose the weight.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.