Terrified

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am having my hemorrhoidectomy in the morning. After reading a lot of stories in different on line forums I am terrified. I have everything ready for recovery taking advice from different people. I expect pain and lots of it. I am 60 years old and in excellent condition so I'm hopeful I can get through this. Wish me luck and ill take any advice anyone has to give.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Oh trust me- it will be worth it!!

It was pure hell for 10 days but after that it's freedom.

Just prepare to soak in the tub as much as possible. Heat will be your best friend. Try and rest as much as possible. Less activity keeps the pain manageable.

Keep your pain meds as close as possible. Take them right before a bowel movement.

I remember after my first movement I jumped in the tub.

I screamed and cried for my husband to bring me pain meds at 0300.

I couldn't even bring myself to walk to the nightstand to grab my own.

However- I have been pain free for so long now!

I'm back at work, going to the gym and doing so much more. I have zero pain.

Good luck! You got this. Worth it.

• Posted

Finally nice to here from someone about how life is after all the pain passes.. thank u
    • Posted

Thank you for the encouragement. My surgery is in 4 hours and I am bracing for a rough recovery. I hope I am one of the more lucky ones I've read about. Here's to getting to the other side 🥂

• Posted

Finally able to comment. Three rough days since my surgery on Tuesday. Woke up from surgery with minor pain. Was given pain meds and sent home. Minor bleeding and pain through Tuesday and Wednesday. Had Vicidon every 4 hours around the clock. Nausea was really bad due to pain meds. Stopped pain meds yesterday due to the nausea and fear of constipation. Felt tolerable off meds. Could not have BM feared I was constipated so drank a bottle of mag sulfate at 9 pm last night. Up all night feeling full and miserable. At 3 this morning made coffee and started sipping shortly after that I had enough of an urge to attempt a BM. Painfully but with success I was able to go with minimum pain and bleeding. I have had very little bleeding compared to what I have read. Soaked in the tub for about 10 mins and now resting on the couch. May have to return to bathroom for another round but feeling like a hurdle has been passed. This is day four and I feel like its been less than I expected as far as pain. Will see what the next couple of weeks hold.
    • Posted

Do not eat bananas and red meat, when you pass stool it will be difficult for you. Also do not drink coffee. Eat more veg and fruits. Also use sterile local anaesthetic before you pass stool, it will feel you painless.
    • Posted

What kind of anesthetic do you recommend?
    • Posted

lidocaine (lignocaine) Hydrochloride 2%, 10%, this is best for local anaesthetic
    • Posted

Yes it will be better if u have epsom salt..
  • Posted

I'm a month post op! Definitely worth it!! I had a internal external and a thrombosed one. The first 2 weeks were rough up and down. But nothing unmanageable. Take all the tips on here and you will find what works for you. Good luck you will be pain free in no time I am smile

• Posted

Thank you I am managing to get better a little at a time. Hope to continue to heal as the days progress. All encouragement is appreciated.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.