Terrified at my ventricular tachycardia diagnosis...

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have just been discharged from hospital with a diagnosis of 'short episodes' of VT sad I don't really know the implications of this, but after having read about it, it seems quite scary, and that medication doesn't work effectively (they just prescribed me beta blockers for it). I am 27 with no history of any other health problems apart from anxiety.

How common is this? What are the implications?

Thanks for any advice,

Ash

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

sorry i meant to say the ECG showed short episodes of VT*
  • Posted

here is my ecg btw
    • Posted

Hi ashleyp, check out D-ribose on net might help .i've only just found out about it last few days , doesn't mix well in water (to light) so i have put mine in small pot of yogurt then mix it up just a teaspoon full supposed to help with ATP in heart,  but  check it out first ,good luck .  

• Posted

I've had that. It's scary. It can be caused by a lot of factors like dehydration, funky glands, stress and anxiety. I have no clue what your surrounding issues are but mine did go away. Btw, even Meds, that are supposed to stop VT can cause them lol

• Posted

Thanks for response smile

Yes they are terrifying. It doesn't help that I am constantly aware of my heartbeat, so a tiny step out of line and I panic.

I started working about almost 2 months ago and my diet massively increased as  aresult and started drinking these protein shakes + weight gain shakes. I am thinking all of that may have triggered it. Even though I did have a more stressful week than usual the week before it came on, I refuse to believe it's that as ive been through 100x worse.

How did your episodes start? Were they recurring over the couse of days of weeks? Mine started very suddenly with a single sustained episode for about 30 seconds, with nothing at all before that. It was like a switch. Then for 11 days they manifested as many short runs of VT lasting a few seconds over the course of a few hours, along with bigeminy's & trgeminy's. But the bigeminiy's and trigeminy's were going on all day long. Was it anything like that for you?

• Posted

They put me on Bisoprolol for my VT, that is the thing to be terrified of rather than the VT. Longest episode I had was 12 hours of VT, Like my graph below, but about two full rolls when they downloaded the information from my implanted loop recorder. After they took me off beta blockers because they were making me so very ill, I was in VT all day long until I went to sleep.

Really funny though in the hospital when I was wired up and my VT came on, suddenly the doctor and a load of nurses come rushing into my room pushing a resuss trolley whilst I am sitting there eating my NHS rhubarb and custard thinking, "this doesn't happen at home where I live on my own and get this every single day", so they connect me to the defib which promptly calls out "shock advised", "you're not going to press that button are you nurse, I am not unconscious".

So they gave me an ablation for it a little over a year ago now. Now I just get Bigeminy SVTs

• Posted

They put me on Bisoprolol for my VT, that is the thing to be terrified of rather than the VT. Longest episode I had was 12 hours of VT, Like my graph below, but about two full rolls when they downloaded the information from my implanted loop recorder. After they took me off beta blockers because they were making me so very ill, I was in VT all day long until I went to sleep.

Really funny though in the hospital when I was wired up and my VT came on, suddenly the doctor and a load of nurses come rushing into my room pushing a resuss trolley whilst I am sitting there eating my NHS rhubarb and custard thinking, "this doesn't happen at home where I live on my own and get this every single day", so they connect me to the defib which promptly calls out "shock advised", "you're not going to press that button are you nurse, I am not unconscious".

So they gave me an ablation for it a little over a year ago now. Now I just get Bigeminy SVTs

• Posted

Thanks for the reply. Wow 12 hours... I don't get sustained episodes... my episodes manifest as many short runs of VT lasting a few seconds over the course of a few hours, along with bigeminy's & trgeminy's. But the bigeminiy's and trigeminy's were going on all day long. It all started 12 days ago, with nothing before that sad . They also put me on bisprolol and I haven't had any since  aside from the occasional skipped beat, but it is making me feel like absolute s**t. I'm gonna halve my dose tomorrow and see how I feel. What is the ablation like? How long does it take? I'd like to get it done too. Are you from the UK by any chance?

• Posted

also congratulation on *mostly* curing it! It's nice to hear there's a way out of this... Even if it's by someone poking around your heart and burning bits off it cry

• Posted

Yes I am from the UK, under St Thomas' for heart failure, and was St Thomas' for the VT but was given to a very nice EP cardiologist at St Georges in Tooting as that is where the ambulance took me.

Can you ask others about what the ablation is like please as I read lots of people don't find it to bad at all. The ablation took a few hours as they bring on your VT first and map out your heart to see where they need to ablate, then they do the ablation, then they do it again to be sure.

• Posted

Ah, I went to St Thomas' too :D

Anyway turns out it's an outflow tract ventricular tachycardia which isn't serious, so won't be bothering with surgery. Thanks for all the advice.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.