Terrified! Found lump in left breast.

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello, 

I’m 26 years old and about a week ago I found a lump in my left breast. It’s right underneath at my bra line. It is hard to the touch and painful. It is pretty big and it DOESN’T move around (which scares me). It’s gotten slightly bigger. I went to my PCP and she examined me. She said because of my age and the fact that I have pain then it more than likely isn’t cancer.  She started me on antibiotics because she thinks it’s just an infection. I’ve been taking the antibiotics for 3 days now and there has been no change. I’m really scared. However, I have noticed that the lump now feels “squishy” on some parts and rubbery on others. I have 7 more days until I’m done with my antibiotics. Should I seek another opinion and maybe get imaging? I have no idea what to do!!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hiya,

Your doctor is completely right, at your age it would be very unlikely to be cancerous. I'd say you probably need to give the antibiotics more than 3 days, they're good but they're not miracle workers and won't instantly clear up a problem. In the grand scheme of things, even if it was anything worrying (which it's unlikely to be), a week isn't going to make much difference, you're better off trying the antibiotics as you only have 7 days left, if it doesn't clear up I imagine they'll send you for a breast clinic examination just to be on the safe side. Don't worry too much about it not moving, although many people say that, it can go either way, my mother has recently been diagnosed with breast cancer and her lump moved.

Try not to worry, your doctor is right in telling you it's very unlikely, and the vast majority of breast lumps aren't anything to worry about.

• Posted

Hi Emmyx!

Thanks so much for the reply. I think you’re right. I should at least finish my antibiotics before getting all freaked out. I’ll do that. Hopefully by then there is some improvement. Fingers crossed!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.