Terrified I have pancreatic cancer?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all. For the past 3 months, I have practically convinced myself that I have pancreatic cancer. I have really bad health anxiety and am a complete hypochondriac, however, I truly think I might have this. To start, I am 20 year old female, pretty healthy, normal weight, never drink or smoke, and have no family history of any type of cancer. The only thing wrong with me is I have ovarian cysts with a very large one on my right ovary. 

My suspicion started about 3 months ago when I started having dull pain on the left side of my abdomen right below my rib cage. This has continued since and never truly goes away but seems to be more noticeable around my period for some reason. I have also had fatty stools, itchy skin, and have lost weight. The pain also radiates to my back right between my left shoulder blade and spine. I went to the doctors at Mayo Clinic and they ordered me an abdominal CT scan about a month ago. They said everything looked normal. I even asked specifically about my pancreas and they said it looked normal. However. I then read online that CT scans can completely miss pancreatic cancer so I am still very stressed out about it. The doctors also still don’t know what is causing my pain, which isn’t reassuring.

Does it sound like I have pancreatic cancer? Is there anything else I can do to 100% rule this out so I can stop stressing about it? I feel as if I’m going crazy and just want some answers. Thanks 

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

No. Given your age and negative CT, no. Have you had blood work done and your gallbladder checked? Unless there is a family history of pancreatic cancer, it usually appears in much older adults (often, but not always, male). Stop asking Dr. Google. He will scare you and is often wrong. If you still think something is wrong, get a second opinion from another doctor. 

Best of luck.

• Posted

Get a second opinion. Stress is bad for your health. Breathe, pray and get information. Don't diagnose yourself. It does not help. Be well.

• Posted

Hello...I am so sorry you are going through such anxiety...it's horrible I know! My husband last a lot of weight suddenly and had tests for pancreatic cancer...his ct scan showed a 'mass' on his pancreas..his cancer index was 237 (normal about 60) but the MRI showed nothing on the pancreas,,It worried us to death,,we found a surgeon who looked into all this,,told him to have a MRCP scan (like a ct scan ...I don't know the difference to tell you the truth),,still nothing clear,,,so he gave him a gastroscopy but the gastroscope had a camera on the tip so that when it passed through the stomach it could do an ultrasound of the pancreas as it was almost touching it...whereas an ultrasound from outside the abdomen is far from the pancreas and not efficient. He repeated the cancer index and had 80! so you can't even rely on that,,It turns out the ca index was high due to gastritis (the dr had said it COULD be...) and the weight loss was because ha had argued with our daughter and that resulted in depression and loss of appetite which he forgot to mention in the beginning!! (We are not together..he's my ex).Now,,, absolutely by chance we seemed to have discovered that he may have the very beginning of pancreatitis but tests in 6 months will show that..I know exactly what you are going through...I had read everything about pancreatic cancer and I daren't tell you what scenarios had gone through my head. We live in Greece and we can easily and very quickly get tests done..if I was in UK I think I would die of anxiety just waiting for the LETTERS to be sent between doctors. I don't know where you live but if you can somehow get those two tests done it will put your mind at rest...The more you worry about all this the more symptoms you will develop...I KNOW because I am 72 and have started worrying about not being incapacitated and a burden on my family and even though I am  very active every day I have something wrong with me!!  Luckily I look after my grandchildren and don't have much time to imagine the future but looking up your ailments  internet can kill you off believe me!!!!   DO something to put your mind at rest..you can't enjoy life if you have these nagging thoughts all day long.I do hope you find some peace soon. Warm wishes from sunny Athens, XX

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.