Terrified of after effects!!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi. I'm new to the forum. What a wonderful and supportive site!

I've been diagnosed with Grade 1 endometrial cancer. I'm not really scared of that, or even having surgery. What bothers me is what happens afterwards. They are removing everything..uterus, tubes, ovaries and cervix. I'm scared of how that will effect me. As cancer is involved I won't be allowed any HRT. So no help for symptoms. I'm afraid of what may happen to intimacy with my husband. Any insights?! Thank you.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jill, 2 years ago last month I had the same diagnosis as you and like you I wasn't scared, I can't really help you as to intimacy advice, I'm happily single biggrin, I'm sure others can advise on that, but just to let you know you are not on your own. 

Phoebe xx

• Posted

Hi, Jill, I got my diagnosis in July of this year, had the surgery and am doing okay.  You will still have some estrogen in your system, I believe that fat also produces estrogen.  

I can't help with intimacy advice, either, but I just want to let you know that you're not alone! 

Best of luck to you!  I hope that your surgery and your recovery go well.

Lynda xxx

• Posted

Thank you both for replying. I sure appreciate it!

Intimacy question aside...do either of you still feel desire? I'm afraid that may get lost. How about other menopause symptoms? Hot flashes, mood swings, anxiety...etc...of course it may take a little bit of time for that all to happen. Apparently I'm a bit brain as well. Lol I love looking younger than my 47 years. Hardly any wrinkles at all and no gray hair. I admit, I enjoy both. Yeah, it's such a superficial thing I know. Yikes. But I can't help it. Haha! I guess I'm worried that I won't be me anymore.

Thanks again. It's alwayscomforting knowing one is not alone.😁 🌸 Jill

• Posted

Hi Jill,

After you have the surgery I think you might experience full menopause, but because each woman is different, what you experience will also differ from others'.  I believe that you are concerned that your life will change.  Yes, it will change.  

What's most important is that you will recover and that you will be well.   smile

Try not to worry, concentrate on getting through the immediate future, and your surgery.  

Let me know how you do! xxx

• Posted

Oops...a bit vain....not brain!!!
  • Posted

It's very good advice! Best to get through it and see how it goes. I know it's different for everyone. I just have such a problem worrying that I'm losing my desire and sexuality. Ovary removal is the female equivalent of castration. So yeah...some concern there! I'm trying very hard to not worry and focus on the present. I'm usually good at that but have had trouble with that. It's possible I'm already in menopause so maybe some symptoms won't be that bad. I just don't want to be asexual. Trying very hard not to worry! Thanks forte advice!

• Posted

Hi, Jill

I had total hysterectomy, ovaries removed aged 47 approx 1yr ago. Worried about losing my libido alongside other physical issues, possibly thanks to many negative references online. It is a little different, in my experience- takes a little longer to get excited, but nothing we couldn't deal with. Had alot of fun actually with trying out lubricants and the immediate surgical menopause was a bit hot. However, in retrospect, worse things have happened to me and I still feel (and look) like a woman! Takes some time to start feeling better after surgery but nothing scary, just be patient- we all do the menopause thing and there's lots of people out there still smiling! I'm impressed with your attitude- I was apprehensive about the surgery, but actually was pretty easy other than my nervousness. Good luck.x

Fi

• Posted

Thank you for your reply!

In regards to the intimacy question, yours is the most positive that I've seen on that subject so far. Especially with removal of the ovaries. I did need to hear someone say all is not lost! I'm sure there are many factors that influence it as well such as how sex was before and what the relationship is like. Though I know many women struggle with no desire at all even when their relationship and the sex were good. Thank you for the Ray of hope in that subject. I appreciate any and all encouragement though! 🌸😁🌼

• Posted

Hi, Jill, 

Jasdip68 gave you excellent information! And, your body will still make some estrogen in your fat cells....

I think that a major factor in any recovery is attitude!  How willing you are to adapt and foster your own continued good health.

Here's to your health, Jill.  Stay strong, and happy in this world! xx 

• Posted

You are right. Attitude is very important! I started with a really good attitude. And I still have a good attitude about the actual surgery and I'm not afraid of the cancer diagnosis. It was just once I started researching everything that I ran across all the scary after effects so many women experience. I have to keep reminding myself that everyones experience is different.

• Posted

Whatever happens, with a positive attitude you will be able to not only cope, but thrive!  smile

• Posted

Hi I too was worried about loss of a sex life. There are very few positive posts on this forum. However perhaps all those with a positive experience are busy getting jigggy 😆😆 so don't feel the need to comment on the forum. Good luck, take care & remain positive xx

• Posted

Lol! You made me laugh! I hope you are right. 😁

I'm trying very hard to be positive. Sometime I am and other times not so much.

I have a good libido now and I keep wondering if it will be completely gone in a week. Or soon after. Most stories are so negative which makes it hard to be positive at times. But I'm trying!

• Posted

My endometrial cancer was diagnosed after a massive haemorage, 3 units of blood later and a D & C the following day diagnosed the cancer.

From there 10 days later full pelvic clearance, I was shocked to have the diagnoses, but at the same time re-assured that it was very slow growing, and they were not wasting time getting rid of it, in a way happy to have the surgery as periods had become a total nightmare, couldn't leave the house for weeks at a time.

Post surgery had a rare reaction I believe, I went into ostegoen shock, needed huge amounts of HRT to stop me sweating, you can hardly call it sweating it was like a water fall, became dangerous de-hydrated in the hospital, kept for 9 days post surgery as I was soo unwell.

HRT was contiuned for about 18 months, every three months stepping down the dosage a little so had very little or no symtoms in the end, other than hospital experience, from change of life.

I no longer take HRT but after some years have started using suppositires to help with thinning tissue down under, I am now 65 and 15 years on best thing ever happened to me.

I did notice one hit to our family budget with a shock, could not understand how we still had so much in the bank account at the end of the following months, then it occured to me just how much I was spending on santitary products.

Stay positive Jill, you too will find your life improves out of site post surgery.

• Posted

Wow! Thank you for sharing your story. Sorry it was so bad in the beginning. Glad it's better now! I'm hoping that even though I will go through surgical menopause, that I will be like my mom. She had no hot flashes at all. She did go through natural menopause though so it may be very different. I feel better about it now. I go up and down and I think that's normal. I'm on the upswing now. Lol 😁

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.