Terrified of colonoscopy !

Posted , 3 users are following.

i posted last week about having an upcoming appt with a colorectal surgeon. well i had it today. yikes, that was...invasive and humiliating. for reminder, i am a 35 year old female with frequent painless rectal bleeding. sure enough, it was confirmed that i not only have bad piles, but also an anal fissure (weird since i havent had pain since having my baby early last year), and proctitis. she said she saw a little blood higher up but it may have been pushed up by the scope. she prescribed a suppository and started me on citracel. ive had a mild iron deficiency for a bit (ive had very heavy periods all year) so that plus the blood she ordered a colonoscopy in 2 whole months. i already have high anxiety and right now i am feeling so anxious i could explode! i knew there was like a 75% chance id be ordered a colonoscopy after the appt no matter what. im just terrified. for reference i have not had any stomach pain or change in stool really significant, the blood is slways bright red, weight steady, all other blood exvept HGB is great and that is back to normal since supplements. what if i wake up and they say found a huge tumor??? my daughter is 21 months. i am going crazy!!!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Normally you don't have too take another colonoscopy for another year or 3-5 years did you have any poylps I had a 5 cm and had to have half of my colon removed and that left me scared qt first but I woman up and done it colonoscopy is nothing compared too having that done next year I go for another colonoscopy the worst part is the prep I can do it use too it.

• Posted

And if you have a family history of colon cancer yeah you got too get checked right away my aunt past d away she had colon cancer. If I would not have done that procedure for the colon i would have ended off having colon cancer.

• Posted

LOU 6934

Hi, I have had several Colonoscopys, the only unpleasant part, is the PREP....a drink to clean out all faecal matter....usually a couple of litres. The colonoscopy in not painful, just a bit undignified, and so worth while to have it. I had to have two, thirds of my bowel removed, 3 years on I'm OK. . After my recent colonoscopy earlier this year, my surgeon does'nt want to see me for 5, yes 5 years. Without the Colonoscopy, I may not have been here to write to you. You will have peace of mind, once it's done, and I'm pretty sure at your age, all will be okay, it's probably just the piles. Good Luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.