Terrified of DVT

Posted , 4 users are following.

Ok so about a month ago, my right lower leg started aching below the knee for 2 days only at night. Then my whole calf area started feeling tight and achy especially around the right side of the lower part of my right leg. Now for about a week and a half, I’ve been having like really bad pain around the buttocks area whenever I get up and walk around, it’s like a sharp pain that can get achy, especially after I sit for long periods of time. I’m 18 and don’t have any dvt risk factors other than the fact that I’ve lived a pretty sedentary lifestyle this summer. When I went to the doctor two weeks ago, she didn’t think it was dvt at all, but I’m scared it is. 

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Did she mention sciatica? That is what it sounds like to me but I am no medical expert.  If you are worried though go back, I had no risk factors, they have no idea what caused my DVT, I was active, I went to the hospital minor injuries with it and they said it was not a dvt but it was. 
    • Posted

I had a hard area in my calf, it was red and painful to the touch. They said it was nothing to worry about a minor clot not in a surface vein, they gave me antibiotics as they said it could get infected otherwise and that it would get worse before it got better.  Well it did get worse and I foolishly didnt go back because of the advice they had given me, I ended up three/four weeks later in Stoke Mandeville.   The pain you describe in your buttocks is typical of sciatica.  
  • Posted

Hi. If you have any concerns go back. My daughter was 19 and the only thing they put it down to was the combined pill. 

Hope all goes well. 

• Posted

Hi Alex

It started with a pain in her groin which she put down to sleeping in a funny position on the plane ( she did a long haul flight)

Then her leg started to swell and went a really weird  purple colour and she felt like she had pins and needles.  

It was discovered she had a very extensive clot from her calf  to her groin. 

Unfortunately it was very serious. Nevertheless a few years later and due to her determination to keep exercising  - she began with gentle swimming and lots of walking, the scarring is fairly minimal. Her leg swells in the heat and she wears a stocking at night. However, given the prognosis she originally had, she has done remarkable well. 

Her best advice to anybody is to get it checked as early as possible. There are now clot busting treatments being done which means long term damage can be kept to a minimum. And any signs of shortness of breath, pain in the chest, feelings of panic or you cannot draw breath etc go straight to A&E. She was walking around with a clot for over 3 weeks , any time during which a bit could have dislodged and become a pulmonary embolism.  We were very lucky.

Hope that helps. If you want any extra info the FB Page thrombosis U.K. is great.  Or look up clots.  

Karin x  

• Posted

I’m very sorry she had to go through that. sad I’m glad she is recovering and doing well though. how severe was her leg pain ?? And after how long did the swelling/ discoloration dvt symptoms start??
    • Posted

Hi Alex thank you will pass it on

The pain was there but not too severe at the start, which is why she didn’t go to the GP originally . It got very severe when her leg swelled. This was about two weeks after her flight and was because she tried to go for a run.  She had travelled to France ( gap year) and was all alone at the time so doubly scary. However the care she got from the local hospital was great. She told them she thought it could be a clot because she’d also gone on a long coach journey as well as the flight and had got dehydrated. 

Anyway the lessons learned; the combined pill increases your risk, as do long haul flights and long periods of inactivity and no drinking. If you have any doubts go to GP/ A&E and dont let them tell you it’s ok until they’ve done tests. There is something called a DDimer test and ultrasound also shows it up.  And just because you’re young and active, doesn’t mean you can’t get them. 

Good luck with everything. 

Kxx

• Posted

Hi Karin!!! Did your daughter get a d dimer?? Im having symptoms of PE... And have been to 2 er doc and cuz my d dimer was normal they don't want to give me a ct scan and Im soo scared!

• Posted

Hi Christina 

Yes she did and it was positive. I know the test is not 100% though but it is a good indicator.  

However if you begin to have problems breathing or have any of signs of a pulmonary embolism or it gets much worse then please return to A&E.  Additionally if there is a family history of clotting that can also be a factor to consider.  But please don’t panic. Even with the very worst case they’d seen in the hospital, my daughter is now leading a normal active happy life.  

• Posted

Sorry I just read your post again. I’m not medically trained but I was always told if you have any signs of PE to seek help particularly if your breathing gets worse 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.