Terrified of N.Fowleri, and it's making me miserable.

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have been struggling with health anxiety a lot. I managed to get a hold on it for a while, until I found out about this awful disease . There have only been few days where I didn't worry about it. I am afraid to shower,I am scared of going to pools, because I could get some water in my nose. Recently I went into a warm pool,and managed to get water in my nose. The pool looked clean,and was very expensive. But still,I have been in a state of constant fear for the past 3 days. It was warm,and the amoeba likes warm pools! 30 c in fact. But hot tubs are hotter,and there are no problems with those,right? And besides,the pool looked clean and sanitary. Yet,I can't help myself. I worry. No amount of information I searched up managed to calm me down. i got to the point where I'm reading scientific articles about the amoeba. The only thing that helps me is waiting it out,until I am sure I will be okay. I hate this,so much. it's ruining my life. I'm so miserable,and scared. I even cried one night because I was so scared once that I got it . I think it's been about half a year since this hyper fixation started. Right now,I am so scared. Help, please.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

sorry you are so worried about this. But honestly, there are 1 million things we could worry about constantly and the odds are it’ll never happen to us. we could be worried about amoebas, cancer, car, accidents, flying, MS, brain tumors, crime, neuromuscular diseases, and so on and so on and so on. I hate to say this, but our chances of getting any one of those is much greater than making contact and getting sick from the amoeba.

I used to do that myself but found myself constantly miserable and fearful. But still knowing I can’t do anything about certain things. The only thing I have control over is just being careful and using my common sense. and living a healthy lifestyle, mentally, and physically.

otherwise, if I stayed that way, I wouldn’t even enjoy my life at all. I’ve learned to live in the present moment and be grateful for it, and enjoy it to the fullest! The vast majority of our fears never come true, so, why be miserable??

Our thoughts are very powerful and whether they are negative or positive, whatever we focus on is going to expand!! so if we are fearful with negative thoughts were going to feel worse and worse if we keep it up. Then what we are doing is missing out on our life! Not worth it to me at all. Finding joy in life, and helping others gives us meaning and purpose in life, keeps us busy and keeps our mind in the positive!

• Posted

Yeah,I have noticed that I'm less anxious when I'm busy, usually. Problem is,I don't have much going on,so my brain fills in the free time with worry.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.