Terrified of THR

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone I'm 61 and about to have THR and I'm so scared of everything from the op to recovery I suffer with anxiety and finding it so overwhelming thinking about the operation. so much going round in my head so many what ifs, I have no choice but to have my hip replacement I can hardly walk my life has come to a standstill and I miss who I used to be I desperately want to do this so I can get my life back but my fear is controlling my every thought I'm waking out of my sleep with attacks of panic. I would appreciate any words of encouragement. Thanks Sue

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Edited

Hi Susan

I've only just joined this forum as it's good to simply talk to others in the same boat. Like you, I'm 61 and was dreading it having had a number of major spinal surgeries before. I had mine done last Wednesday, had to pay in the end which was hard but like you my life just was coming to a standstill with no longer being able to walk any distance and in constant pain.

You will be fine, I'm not going to lie to you it is pretty brutal and you must make sure you take any medication they offer. I find I a very slow process and because I'm still tired all the time I'm not pushing myself. Unfortunately there is no alternative if we want to continue living our lives and I do hope in time it will allow me to enjoy the outdoors again.

I do feel a bit depressed from time to time but again that is normal. As for the panic, make sure you let the know before the op to give you a sedative.

I hope all goes well for you.

• Edited

hi Birgit thankyou so much for your reply I'm glad to hear you are now on the road to recovery and will soon be living life again . I did not mention in my post that I will be having spinal which I'm OK with BUT not ok with hearing what's going on my surgeon (who is wonderful) said I can have sedation as well so I'm relieved about that although still very nervous as I know everyone is or has been I've got to bite the bullet as they say .

• Edited

it would be good to be treated for anxiety. many who have anxiety can take medication that help relieve the stress from anxiety. then going thru hip replacement will not be so taxing on your mental health. take one thing at a time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.