Terrified of throat cancer 23 yr old

Posted , 4 users are following.

I actually started a thread on gastritis but I'm having new symptoms now and my old ones went away so you might hear the same story from another forum. So my story began on Thursday night when I had an intense burning feeling and I felt the need to throw up some food, shortly after I developed a lump of sort feeling inside of my throat that wouldn't go away even if you swallowed saliva. So I panicked and my partner reassured me it happens after you throw up so I sleep on it. Friday and Saturday are great as I don't feel the throat lump anymore only up until Sunday night as I was drinking a cold water and I felt something creep back up my throat, literally. It was the same feeling as Thursday night but I had not thrown up or anything recently. There is no pain or difficulty swallowing just the lump feeling stuck no matter what I did. I slept on it and now it's Monday hoping it went away and it has not. I am terrified it is esophagus cancer or something because this happen out of the blue and I don't know what I did to cause this. I won't be able to get it checked out today but can anyone give me some reassurance, if I were to have the cancer wouldn't the lump feeling be there all the time and pain? I have some few moments where I don't feel it. It couldn't be acid reflux or anything like that because I don't feel any acid coming up my throat, just that stupid lump feeling. Thanks for reading

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I had the same thing. When I went and saw the dr, I was assured that if it were cancer, it would NOT come and go without treatment. If you had some sort of cancerous growth in your throat, it wouldn't just go away and come back another day. I did go ahead with the endoscopy just for piece of mind and everything came back fine. I do have gerd though which probably causes my globus sensation from time to time. Also, you can have acid reflux and not always know it so don't completely rule that out. Try not to worry too much, many people experience this same sensation.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply Suzanne, that is very reassuring information to hear, it wasn't there for two days and all of a sudden it creeps back up on my throat as I was drinking cold water so I don't think that's how cancers work, going to make an appointment tomorrow just to get it checked out and hopefully theyll refer me to an endoscopy. Ill keep you updated!

• Posted

No way throat cancer at 23. Usually presents with big large neck mass. Or severe throat pain, or severe one sided ear pain. Globus is sign of inflammation due to acid reflux or gastritis. Do not worry at all. It is very common.
  • Posted

Hi Dear, Who can understand your problem better than. I had gone through d same for problem for 5 months

It started with me in Jan 2018 and recovered in July. I had gone through horrible time. Was always thinking about throat n cancer. I did endoscopy which was perfectly normal. I also threw up sometimes and had constant feeling of lump in throat. Which was almost always there. I even lost interest in food. Little bit sour or spicy things were making it worse. I assure you that you r perfectly fine. Doctor prescribed me omiperizol acidity tablet for 2 months but I hardly took it. After my endoscopy result came normal with in a week my all throat discomfort went away. Some we think about d same problem. When I was assured that my throat perfectly fine from that moment psychologically recovery was here. Doctor said bcos I stopped thinking. So don't worry. Stay calm. It's just acid reflux.

• Posted

What food did you eat for those 5 months? And did your stomach have acid alot?
  • Posted

Not much acid actually...but I had usually mild food. Not much oily n spicy. Sour not at all ...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.