Terrified of withdrawls

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi People. I've been taking Dihydrocodiene for over 18months daily, and just undergone knee surgery in December. I'm now on my last batch of Dihydrocodiene prescribed by my GP. I've used Dihydrocodine in the past and had no problems with withdrawals as I only used them every now and then, but as I've been on them for over 18months I'm terrified of the withdrawals I'm going to experience. Maybe I'm pre-empting that I'm going to get withdrawals which could be my problem in general, but after taking 90mg-130mg daily for that amount of time I can only think I'm going to get withdrawals. I feel they have controlled my life for along time now, physically and mentally and am under no delusion that I am in fact addicted to them. Please don't think of me as a drug addict because I'm nothing but that and don't agree with using drugs for recreational use, but I'm starting to panic that I maybe going against everything I believe in. Just to give you some back round about me, I'm a nurse in profession and find it even more demoralizing that I am addicted to Dihydrocodiene because of what I do for a living and feel this is some kind of demon or dirty secret I'm having to live with. If anyone has any advice or experiences that may help me, I'm more than open to suggestions. Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Dont worry 90mg plus is far from a raging druggy dose :D

Tell your GP about it, what you need is a safe and easy monitored reduction in the amount you take, either that or just jump straight into withdrawal and see how bad you feel, who knows you mightnt have full blown withdrawal symptoms but instead just feel a bit miserable for a few days smile

• Posted

I don't really have any advice for you but I can empathise with you. I am addicted to DHC and have been for many years. I manage to keep my dose to 150mgs every day but I crave more and have to make sure I don't run out or I get anxious. I feel bad enough when I'm due to take them so I dread what I'll feel like if I don't have any. I manage to work part time and they control my pain to a manageable level (back and hip), but I 'm always afraid of the day when I can't have them for some reason.
  • Posted

Hi all

WOW - just wow lol

sorry :oops:

I take 240 mg of codiene a day in an attempt to keep the pain away (doesn't quite work) but it does help me cope with the pain.

I can take 240mg a day for weeks on end then pain lessens so i reduce them and hey...no side effect for a few days then I might get a headache that becomes yuk so I take a couple of cocodomal (less codiene in them) an there we go! Headache gone! :D I have to do this for a couple of days then it's all back to normal.

I seriously and honestly (even tho I have been told about the risk of addiction) canot say I have suffered addiction from codiene. All in the head???? :oops: :oops: :oops:

Perhaps I am just lucky?

All I can suggest is if you don't need them for pain then don't bloomin' take them LOL

No tablet should ever be taken for addiction reasons and it is in your best interest to get off them as quickly as possibly if you feel you are or have become addicted to them.

Melbi x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.