Terrified. Possible PE?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello there some of u might know me already I've posted of this blog before.. I am currently dealing with sharp chest pain and shortness of breath... And light headedness also .. I am 11 weeks pregnant so j know that puts me at risk for pulmanry embolis.. I've had 2 chest cts in the past and d dimers all normal. I told my Dr about my concerns and all he did was listen to my lungs and said they sound clear .. I'm 20 years old and terrified ?? anyone with any help?

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hey Alex, I’m not a doctor but I do suffer from anxiety because pretty badly and these symptoms can also be caused by that. The anxiety can cause you to overbreathe causing pain in the intercostal muscles, the overbreathing can also cause lightheaded ness, tingling in the fingers and a whole load of other symptoms. I am NOT saying this is what it is but anxiety is mean and mimics a lot of other things like a pe or heart attack which then causes further anxiety which will make the symptoms worse. If you really are worried it’s a pe go back to your Dr but read up on anxiety also. I find buteyko breathing really helpful. Good luck xxx
  • Posted

Hi Alex,

Most often, if you have chest pains when you have PEs, you would experience a sharp stabbing pain every time you breathe in.  It is also pretty relentless and impossible to do anything, even impossible to lie down.

Pregnancy is a risk factor, but if you have had one without PEs, it doesn't sound like you have a genetic disposition for clotting.  A member of my family does and she was put on thinners right at the outset.

Like someone else said on the other thread - you can have a blood test (d-dimer). 

PEs are not that common, especially in someone so young. They are most likely to happen with some kind of outside influence (genetics, surgery, some illnesses, accident etc.).

Hope that helps and if you are still worried, maybe see if they will test your blood.

All the best.

Peter

• Posted

Well I do experience a sharp stabbing pain here and there but not when I breathe in deeply.. it's more out of nowhere.. but I am very short of breath mostly all day .. and this is my 4th pregnancy. Have never had PEs or dvts in any of them. Had 2 chest cts last year when I was pregnant with my last son and both came back negative..

• Posted

I replied in another thread but i wanted to add that i get sharp pains in my chest at times and I believe it is an esphogas thing...like a spasm. I had no chest pain with my PE, just side and back pain . My D dimer was over 3,000 and normal is less than 250.  I have Factor  V  discovered after this recent PE....I had 3 babies and 10 surgeries  and never had a problem before. 
  • Posted

When I had my PE a month ago I had no chest pain .  My pain was on my rt side, upper quad, and around my back and under my arm pit. It worsened when I inhaled. Mine was a huge saddleback clot . I have  a Dvt in my leg and when the clot broke off i had a sharp burning pain in my thigh. I had shortness of breath but not severe.
    • Posted

Was ur blood clot before or after pregnancy? And would u get short of breath while doing activities or in general? Would u feel anxious?
    • Posted

And did ur leg swell and cause pain? How did u know u had a dvt?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.