Terrified to get a kidney stone attack on vacation

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've passed about 6 stones in the past few months... I'm due to go on vacation this weekend to a very remote location (away from my doctors, a hospital, etc) and as silly as this sounds I am petrified to go, for the sole reason of potentially getting a kidney stone. Does anyone have any advice to calm my nerves? Or experiences? I have had multiple panic attacks thinking about it and at this point I'm seriously considering not going on vacation. Please help! Thank you all in advance. 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I have been in that same situation and discussed it with my doc.  He gave me Flomax and painkillers to take along with me.  As it turned out I did not need either.  However there was a certain peace of mind in having the meds with me.  In addition I researched the nearest hospital and how to get there in advance.
    • Posted

Jane, thank you for your reply! I did not need my medications either but having them did help to ease my mind as well.  Thanks again. 
  • Posted

Unfortunately this is what kidney stones does to you. There is just no telling when they are going to rear their ugly head.

To be honest I would cancel the weekend vacation.

Hope you manage to sort the stones out. Have you been referred to a urologist?

Take care and keep in touch.

Sarah

• Posted

Thanks for your reply, Sarah. You're right the stone attacks seem to come out of nowhere! Unfair haha. 

I have been referred to two urologists and a nephrologist, all of whom have ordered metabolic workups, which frustratingly have come back all clean, no answers as to what's causing this! Thanks again. 

• Posted

Not sure where you live but the urologist who sorted me out is Frank Keeley. He is based at Southmead Hospital in Bristol. If you can get another urologist to refer you to him it would be good.

Do take care and keep in touch.

Sarah

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.