Terrified to have colonoscopy

Posted , 12 users are following.

I am 72 years old: i began having rectal bleeding two years ago and of course a colonoscopy was suggested. i still have not had it. I have been tol by a G.I.doc that I have a hemorrhoid so i tell myself that is why i am rectally bleeding.  I know i should have it- i had one 9 years ago which was fine and i sailed through it. however, i am 9 years older. Everything scares me: the prep: i am not the strongest person and wonder how I can go 24 hours without food ( i know one gets sugar from the liquids but that is not the same thing); i am worried about the effect of the drugs and about possible colon perforation which does not occur often, but it does happen. I tell myself if i had cancer after two years i would be in pain and have more symptoms but i guess that is not always the case. I guess i am in denial. i know i have to have this test. i have some other symptoms like tons of gas that could go along with cancer but then again--- i appreciate any and all comments and insights and how do i get the nerve to just go ahead and have  the test.

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

There are several reasons for rectal bleeding.  Don't be bullied into a procedure.  Get second opinions. The older y get the bigger the chance of injury

• Posted

Hi I love wings.

I'm sorry you are having these problems. I am 70 and have had Digestive problems for years. I opted not to have a colonoscopy for the same reasons you are concerned about. My doc says they can use a smaller instrument for the colonoscopy like they use on children and lessen risk of perforation so if I ever have one I would opt for that. If you aren't already doing so, You would do well to take a good Probiotic/Prebiotic supplement and also fiber every day. Heathers Tummy Care is good website and you can buy her Acacia Senegal fiber in some health stores or order on her website. She also sells fennel tea that corrects bloating and gas in minutes after drinking. Be sure you eat lots of fruits and vegetables as well preferably organic. We are what we eat. I wish you the best in getting back to good health. I know what you're going through.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.