Test accuracy

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all,

I am a 50 yr old male,pretty fit and work-out/eat well.

I today went for an NHS health check and whilst my blood pressure was 111/78, i was shocked by my cholesterol level.

The nurse did the test but suggested there was'nt much blood taken but,as there was no error report said the test was valid......the reading was 11.2!

So due to the small amount of blood taken she agreed to do another test and took blood from the finger next to the previous and this second test had a reading of 6.81!

Still high and she has advised me to jave a fasting test at my doctors but........i am wondering now exactly how accurate the tests were being they differed so much.

Any thoughts please?

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

They are mostly accurate, But if you have doubts, you can ask for another test. 
  • Posted

I've had 3 fasting tests over 3 years and

All we're 7.2 they say they are accurate but

Doc said

7.2 ain't that bad

• Posted

Thankyou for the teplies but,i'm still wondering how 2 tests within 2 minutes if eachother,with blood taken from the same finger can be so hugely different: 11.2 and 6.81

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.