Test for scalp nerve damage/injury - MRI? US? X-ray?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have something wrong on the top right side of my scalp in a small isolated area (1-2inch in diameter) but the pain radiates through my body.. Its been painful for 12 months and easily irritaed. Ive been to see 2 x neurolgists and about 5-6 doctors. I cant get a proper diagnosis, but the majority think its nerve damage and suggest giving it time.  Unfortunately it hasnt healed and I want to look at surgery or even just get a confirmed diagnosis. Can I get a scan on my scalp to see what is wrong? If so, what scan? Thanks!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi John, For the kind of issues you face, I am guessing pain management groups/Drs might be your best bet. John, I have nerve damage and as far as I know these nerves will not heal. So, in my case, many years of procedures, implant etc. resulted in what Dr was hoping to avoid. Opiates are the only meds that help me. I resisted them at first and had much guilt, now I know these drugs are my friends. I can somewhat have a normal life! I had nerve conduction test to seek if nerves were damaged and you can hear the difference in the sound of test as they find the bad nerves. Head? Do not know. I write mostly because I wanted you to know others understand your pain, frustrations and life changes! Good luck, keep fighting for an answer. Incoming hugs are on the way!
    • Posted

Thanks for your warm wishes. Have you tried anything to heal the nerves or improve the pain? Does ice help? Have you tried infrared light therapy? What about Alpha Lipoic acid and ACetyle L carnitine? They are scientifcally shown to regenerate nerves

• Posted

Hi John, I have not had any of the meds you mention. I have greatly depended on the pain management group to share any and all ways to help nerve damage. Injections, many in hopes to quiet damaged nerves, implant to stimulate and trick brain to not recognize pain triggers etc. we did it all but still had to go to last resort, medications. There is a procedure that I can not have(I would never walk again, sciatic nerve), that burns the offending nerves and renders them useless. This helps greatly if you can do procedure to help not make worse such as I would have had. This all takes a lot of time, appointments, procedure scheduling etc. you may face a long difficult journey and it will take patience, acceptance, much mourning and hard work! For you and yours! Think of yourself as a WARRIOR, you are, you will be fighting for your health and lifestyle. Hang in there John, you can do this bud. Good luck John. 🍀??🤕🤔🌈🌝🌷🥀🌺

• Posted

Thanks for the encouraging words and advice. Im seeing two doctors. One recommends seeing a neurologist, the other a rheumatologist. Any ideas which would be more appropriate? Also, where is the pain managment group you talk of? Is it on this site? 
    • Posted

Hi John, The pain management group is in my hometown. I am fortunate to have great medical care all around me. I live in Florida in the US. John, I would do neurologist first to know if your nerve system is involved, it will then get you started in the right direction. I sure hope you get some answers soon. I wonder if you would benefit from the internet also. Knowing what procedures are available and what their purpose is will help youetter know what is going on with you.  I encourage you to not slack with anything having to do with your nerve system, it can alter your lifestyle so much. This is hard to deal with John. Keep at it, once you know you will then go on to the next stage and start to actually deal with the problem. I sure do get it man, this is just plain scarey and hard work! You have my best wishes, good luck!🍀🕊🤔

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.