Test result shows antibody 389 u/mL. Newly diagnosed with subclinical hypo.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Yesterday i picked up my blood test and discovered my TSH level is 6.33 (above high reference limit);

Serum free T4 level is 10.9 (low-normal range) and serum thyroid peroxidase antibody concentration above range at 389u/mL.

I was diagnosed 3 weeks ago with subclinical hypothyroidism and its all new to me. My GP just put me on 25mg Levothyroxine till my next blood test on 23 August.

I've done some reading up online to try and inform myself. For ages i've suffered from unexplained tiredness, mysteriously raised cholesterol, and been feeling low without knowing why. I guess it's a partial relief to realise my thyroid has something to do with it, so it's not all in my mind. However, My IQ feels like it's plummeted, memory not so good . I'm a 57yr old woman, of average slim weight and i've been eating and sleeping healthily. I take good care of myself. I hope it's not early dementia, as i'm trying to finish my Open University degree course.

I'm anxious I might already have Hashimoto's disease because it seems like 389u/mL is so far above the high reference rate of 0.0 -75.0

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I have an endo app in a few days. I've been dealing with some crazy symptoms the last couple months. I've seen so many doctors and finally just went to the ER and they said my tsh was high. It was 7.26. I know that this is high but I don't think it's like skyrocketed lol. I'm hoping to get everything figured out at the endo soon. But I know exactly what you're saying when you said it's not in your mind. I've had so many doctors tell me this already. So frustrating.

• Posted

Thank you,Danielle. Good luck with your endocrinologist appointment. Gosh,TSH of 7.26 doesn't seem that high, but i guess it depends on other factors. Like i said, I'm brand new to this whole thyroid business and on a bit of a learning curve.

• Posted

Hi there, I'm glad you have a diagnosis. You can often feel mad with unexplained symptoms. I've been diagnosed / on levo just over two years now. And it has retaken 18 months for my thyroids to right themselves and find the right dosage. When I first went on levo, my symptoms become a lot worse. So be prepared. But then they settled.

I often felt low, foggy in the head, confused, forgetting words, short concentration span. At times, I felt stupid. But once on the meds, I began to feel better. Write your symptoms down. Then just before your appointment, write down how you are feeling then, so you have something to compare.

I have hashis and my antibodies reached 600. I've just seen my endocrinologist and have just had a full thyroid test so I'm waiting to see my results.

Do you know about taking levo away from food, caffeine, calcium and other supplements?

How long have you got left with the OU? I studied my degree with them. I loved it. They are really good at giving a bit of leeway and supporting you

• Posted

I am SO relieved that i discovered this forum. Thank you for replying to me, it felt pretty lonely and strange not understanding a thing the GP said to me about antibodies etc..

I just completed the semifinal year of my degree with the OU, and have applied to do the final advanced level year. However, the diagnosis of hypothyroidism has made me wonder whether i should put this on hold for a year while the thyroid hopefully normalises? It just feels unpredictable and i want to perform at my best, in order to get a decent 2.1. I did badly at the exam, but good with essays.

• Posted

You are definitely not alone. Know that you will not get a lot of information from your GP. They know very little, especially hashis. But you may be lucky.

Do you know about mitigating circumstances within the OU? When I was studying my final year, I went through depression and hair loss. I knew it had an impact on my work so I found out that I could submit a form just before my final assignment was due, to explain what I was going through and how it had affected my work. They then take it into consideration when marking and grading you.

I'm the same, my memory isn't good enough for exams. I much prefer assignments

• Posted

I forgot to say that your post gives me hope in that your thyroid/dosage has found the right dosage. That's really great, 18 months was worth it.

Also,my symptoms today were awful. I fell asleep this afternoon, failing to leave the house till after dark for my fitness walk. Maybe this is what you mean by symptoms at first becoming worse. Though it's fluctuating.

Very helpful advice re: writing symptoms down etc.. so thank you

I take Levo the moment i wake up, then wait 2hrs before breakfast+HRT+antidepressant. No coffee till then either. Multivits/iron/fish oils i take with my supper

• Posted

Not sure I can trust to luck, in terms of GP, although it's early days yet. He might refer me to see an endicronologist.

The mitigating circumstances form will almost certainly be needed, unless recovery to former energy levels miraculously return soon. I've got a feeling this is 'the long haul'. Hope I'm not being too pessimistic.

I've got until early September to decide whether to postpone my final year with OU or go ahead this October.

So wonderful to have your helpful support and advice. This forum has stopped me from wallowing in confusion and despair. Thank you!biggrin

• Posted

Yes.. you already have Hashimoto's with antibodies of 389.  It's actually the most common cause of hypothyroidism in developed countries.  You will most likely need to be on meds on the rest of your life.  Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.. I'm just trying to give you some facts..  Best wishes..

• Posted

Thank you, sweetmeliisa. I am so glad you are telling me what i suspect. My GP said "there's a slight risk of you developing Hashis". When i looked at the blood test result yesterday i felt like this feels more than a slight risk, especially as symptoms have kind of been creeping up on me for a couple of years already.I thought it can't just be ageing. Otherwise no woman my age would be able to hold down a job, since it's so exhausting. So, the mystery of exhaustion is solved.  It's a progressive disease, Hashis. Yes, I'm going to have to accept that I'll probably be on thyroid meds for rest of my life. I am grateful to know at least that not all of this was in my mind. I kept beating myself up about being 'lazy'. Best wishes to you, sweetmelissa

• Posted

"Slight risk" ? Oh brother. Get yourself to a good endocrinologist. Hashimoto's is autoimmune disease and autoimmune disease is treatable on your own with diet, supplements and cleansing. Treat the autoimmune disease and you'll curb your thyroid disease.

• Posted

Hello SadChick, it's  important that you know that thyroid disease can take decades for a proper diagnosis. If you don't get a Hashimoto's diagnosis with bloodwork, a series of cysts may show on your thyroid by ultrasound.  So not to worry, you haven't lost IQ, you have thyroid brainfog. Brainfog seems more prominent when T4 levels are low, which yours is. While T3 levels when low can result in anxiety. Medications do not provide a biological ratio of these and can result in the above symptoms when ratios are out. So you may not get relief from the meds.

Keep in mind that lab ranges are very broad and can actually mask thyroid disease. You can have Hashimoto's with TSH as low as 2.5. I know because I have severe thyroid disease and the blood levels do not show particularly abnormal, and in fact have never shown out of range. Yet, my symptoms show severe thyroid disease, including a cyst that was quite large. My disease was further masked by the lack of growth of the cyst for many years, however while the cyst did not increase in size, I suspect it did increase in density. This was noticeable by palpating. Eventually the cyst started growing like crazy. This was decades later, as it was subacute for yes, two decades at least. I tried several medications and did get some relief from the NDT and also from OTC dessicated supplements. The flaw in the standard treatment is that it is designed to be used to get blood levels in range. However, if your blood levels are mostly in range, regulating meds to get  in range blood results could prove to provide little symptom relief. Thyroid disease is epidemic, so you aren't alone.

The mysterious raised cholesterol is a red flag, as this was the only thing that showed out of range in blood tests when my thyroid disease was at its worst. I feel the spiked cholesterol followed by spiked triglycerides was actually more indicative of the severity of my thyroid disease than the thyroid numbers. I've noticed, while my numbers are generally very healthy, the cholesterol spikes parallel the thyroid symptoms. I was fortunate in that I had thyroid disease onset on my 20s. So when the symptoms recurred in my 40s and docs tried to blame it on getting older, I didn't buy it and eventually was properly diagnosed. 

It seems your situation is similar similar to mine. I've found liver cleansing to be very helpful for the thyroid, as this also helps with lipid processing. Heavy metals are a possible source of your thyroid disease, so heavy metal cleansing can be helpful.

The good news is that you're in great shape and you have an excellent lifestyle of healthy eating

Read everything you can on thyroid disease and treatment. The more you understand the disease, the better choices you'll be able to make.

• Posted

Excellent advice, thank you from the bottom of my heart. I had no idea so many people are suffering silently with thyroid disfunction, and how this can impinge on every aspect of a persons life and well being. I feel for you, since it took so long to discover the cysts. Awful not knowing.
    • Posted

Could you tell me NDT and OTC medications are, please? I've heard of the alternative to Levo is called 'Armour' (?) - a natural form of dessicated thryroid supplement.

In terms of heavy metal cleansing, i'd like to find out more about it.

Next time i see my GP i'll ask about possible referral to an endicronologist too. Maybe an ultrasound in case of cysts.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.