test results

Posted , 6 users are following.

Just got back my bone density test results.  I am now at 2.1 for spine and 2.2 for hips  Should I go on the once a week pill? Does this sound bad?  Not sure what to do.

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

This is where everyone will tell you no. I personally take the 6 monthly injection and have for the last year and it's not given me any trouble. I take calcium, vitamins D and K. Of course excercises too. Be careful of the negative comments you will get. They are your bones. Look after them. All the best. smile

• Posted

Hi Karen, those results are within the normal range and thus there is no 'condition' to treat ie. medication of any kind  is not appropriate -  as I'm sure your doctor will also assert. 

Good luck,  J 

• Posted

It looked like I was pretty close to osteoporosis.  She wants me to start medications.  That is why i am writing to all of you. I nee dhelp.
    • Posted

I don't understand this really Karen and I'm not a doctor.  But to me that's like saying that, though your blood pressure is normal, you should take medication because you may be "close" to it not being normal????  Or, would you take meds. for depression if you're not depressed?  Are you sure you haven't misinterpreted what you were told or your scan scores?

Most people on this site would love to be in your position with normal bone density scores and wouldn't consider medication for an instant. 

I don't mean to sound cross but I am intrigued . . .   J

• Posted

The World Health Organization fairly arbitrarily chose the number -2.5 as the borderline between osteoporosis and low bone mass, aka osteopenia.  The latest recommendation is that people NOT be given medication if they are only in the low bone mass range.  I am testament to the fact that it is possible to improve bone density completely without taking any osteoporosis drugs.  I have been on prednisone for poymyalgia rheumatica since June 2015.  In September of that year, after more than three months on pred I had a DXA scan.  T-score -2 and because of the risk factor of prednisone as well as having had a broken leg a couple of years earlier (I still dispute it was a fragility fracture and when I was being treated for it no one suggested that it was) I was recommended the drugs.  I decided I would go the natural way and in the subsequent year, despite still being on prednisone, about seven months of that year over 5 mg where it still has an effect on bone remodelling, my bone density has improved to -1.6 and they are no longer recommending the drugs!  It is your decision, but I just want you to know that there is a very real, safe and effective alternative to what are, whatever others may say, potentially very dangerous and damaging drugs.
  • Posted

may have been wrong.  I think I must be -2.1 and - 2.2.  On the chart it looked like I was pretty close to osteoporosis.  So now what do you think?
    • Posted

I had read your post as -2.1 etc, as I don't think anyone has bone density scores in the plus figures!  Our position stands.  You are in the "low bone mass" or "osteopenia" range for which the latest recommendations are there be no medications like bisphosphonates and their relatives.  You are still well within the range of being able to restore your bone density.  It is not easy.  It takes time.  But it is so well worth it!  Everything you do to help your bones will help all other aspects of your health and wellbeing.

• Posted

In Australia, it would not even be contemplated that you take medication as it is not osteoporosis. Osteopenia does not necessarily become osteoporosis anyway and you have the opportunity to improve these results with exercise, diet and supplements like vitamin K2.

Do your own research and reading to assure you of making the right decision for you.

• Posted

Hi as far as I am aware this means you have osteopenia whish is not a disease like osteoporosis but means you have some bone loss. -1.0and 2.5 means low bone density or osteopenia, any score below 2.5 is osteoporosis.  How you combat the bone loss is your decision, but lots of people on this sight will give you ideas to help you make up your mind. xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.