Test results advice please

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello

This is my first time here, please be gentle with me biggrin

I was first diagnosed with an underactive thyroid about 10 years ago, I have been on 75mg of thyroxine for most of that time. But I have never really felt any improvement in my symptoms. I have always been the type of person to accept the Dr's word without question.

Lately I have been doubting that my medication is working so have been googling a bit and learned so much about my condition!

I convinced my Dr to test my free T3. These are the results

serum TSH level     2.32 mu/l

serum free T3 level 4.7 pmol/l

For some reason T4 wasn't tested, my previous result (May 2017)

serum TSH level   0.89

Do you think my T3 is at a good level?

Joanne xxx

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Even if your levels are “normal” if you don’t feel right, then they may not be right for you. Talk to your doctor about how you feel. If you din’t feel they get it, go to a different doctor and keep going to a different one until someone listens. When it comes to thyroid issues, I feel each person should be treated as an individual and not by the book. Many doctors want to treat based on only test results and aren’t willing to invest the time to work with their patient to try different meds and doses to achieve optimal results for that person. 
  • Posted

No think your FreeT3 isn't good why? Because you have same result as me (I'm on 150mcg) except my TSH is supppressed a lot more. I cant function my best but take supplements etc.

But.want an increase. I was on 200mcg with lot higher FT3 felt better. Get your increase now before your TSH gets lower and the docs dont want to increase. Dont take vit B7 BIOTIN 24 hrs or more before testing or youll really have problems.

• Posted

Hi Joanne do you also have the reference ranges with those tests? Tsh at .89looks more hyper active. What are your symptoms? It is normal for our tsh to be up and dow. Did they check for auto immune disease? And I agree with previous reply that we are not one size fits all. It does take some playing with the meds to find right dose. Check into filler in the medicine that you take to make sure it's not something you may be allergic too. I take tirosint which is hypoallergenic. I am also starting to doubt how hypoallergenic it is since it come in a aluminum foil pop out dispenser and the whole reason I switched to it was because when I was using levoxyl they changed manufacturers and my tsh along with free t4 and free t3. Drs wanted to increase meds. I tried and couldn't tolerate it so I looked into the medicine and seen on my bottles two different manufacturers so I looked up fillers for my new one and found they use aluminum. I am allergic to that and cant use antiperspirants because that breaks me out in a rash. So I was in ingesting it and that's why I felt internally off.

• Posted

Morning, Thank you for your replies.

My symptoms...

extreme tiredness

brain fog

terrible memory

low mood

no sex drive

dry skin

brittle nails

aches and pains

pins and needles

weight gain

fluid retention

tinnitus

high colesterol

and probably most of the other issues associated with underactivity.

The reference ranges for the tests are as follows

serum TSH level     2.32 mu/l    Normal  ( 0.35 - 5 )

serum free T3 level 4.7 pmol/l   Normal  ( 3.8 - 6.7 )

I will be talking to my Dr on Monday and was hoping that my T3 result would mean that there could be a reason why I didn't feel good. But as it is in the normal range she will probably just say i'm fine. cry

• Posted

Hi Joanne, I’d say welcome, except this is a suckie club to need. So thanks for your post.

You’ve pretty much already drawn your conclusions: ... TEN YEARS?!?!  Really? “...I have never really felt any improvement in my symptoms...”

You are correct. This medication does not alleviate symptoms for many people. My experience is that it shifts bloodwork, but has no positive biological effects. Basically a placebo with side effects.

These meds are not bioidentical and cannot possibly work correctly in our bodies. They cause a ton of side effects, worsen hypothyroid disease and result in both hyper and hypothyroid symptoms simultaneously.

Here’s why:

Synthetic levothyroxin is manufactured so that its slightly different from natural thyroxin  for the purpose of a patent. (Ie) The difference between an active T3  Molecule and a rT3 (molecule that binds up the active T3 as part of the body’s natural regulation is done in the body by a slight shift in an existing T3 molecule to turn it into rT3. So tiny changes in molecular structure of thyroxin can be the difference between a highly active molecule and a molecule that shuts down thyroxin activity very rapidly.

Since synthetic levothyroxin is tweaked, it is not going to work the same as our own. It can’t.

Aside from being a “ tweaked” thyroxin molecule, levothyroxin is T4 only. The thyroid gland produces many types of thyroxin. We typically look at T3 and T4 when treating. The human body has a natural ratio of T3/T4. By taking T4 only, you flood the body with T4, and expect the body to be able to kick in and do the conversion as needed for T3.  Really, you’re hoping the flood of T4 will push the body’s reaction to concert to T3. You see, the less active (longer lasting) T4 molecules can get converted to T3 (a short lived, highly active form of thyroxin) in the body by removing one iodine molecule. This conversion doesn't seem to happen well with the meds. You end up with relatively high levels of T4, and low T3.  The trick with the meds is to get them both in range, but inevitably you end up with T4 above midrange of labs and T3 below midrange. This is a simple way to see that the T3/T4 ratios are out if whack. Your body is then super confused because it has too much T4 and too little T3. This doesn't compute for the body because none of these molecules are biological, and the body can’t process them the same as natural molecules. The body realizes these molecules aren’t natural and starts attacking them with the immune system to take them out of circulation. Since they are synthetic, the breakdown process of these molecules is slower than natural thyroxin. (Really nice for shelf storage because they last  much longer than natural thyroxin!)

The immune system can’t quite differentiate between real and fake  thyroxin, so its trying to  take the fake stuff out of circulation, meanwhile the Levo is still pretty darn similar in structure to our own thyroxin. The immune system is going for the synthetic levothyroxin, but accidentally attacks the good stuff your body’s made. Ideally the immube system would eventually figure out the difference or not attack at all. But the immune system basically goes after foreign invaders and worries about the crossfire on our own tissue as a lower priority, or a casualty of immune system war. This cross reactivity and a triggered immune system results in autoimmune disease. Since thyroxin molecules are used in every cell of the body... well imagine how widespread this autoimmune response can be- your entire body! When you look at the known autoimmune side effects of levothyroxin (RA, lupus, fibromialgya) you know my explanation is not in any way an exaggeration.

Now, if you’re still with me,  you’re thinking, ‘what’s a girl to do?!” Right?

Super simple. (As long as you still have your thyroid gland, or most of it.) The thyroxin molecule is made by linking iodine to an amino acid called tyrosine. Your body makes tyrosine from phenylalanine that you get when you eat protein. Whatever the cause of hypothyroid disease, if you give the body the raw materials, it will make what it needs if it can. The production of thyroxin in the body is controlled by enzymes, all of which are made from amino acids. Start at the beginning by giving the body the building blocks it needs to make thyroxin. If you aren't getting enough phenylalanine, you probably aren't getting enough of the other essentual amino acids. Essential mino acid compkex supplements help enormously! 

I should say that many thyroid patients try supplementing with iodine/iodide and wind up with a toxic reaction. Simply, this is likely because the body doesn't have the protein available to process  the iodine and convert it into thyroxin and  other needed molecules. We’re taught that supplementing iodine “cures” thyroid disease. That only works if the thyroid disease is caused by iodine deficiency and your body you can covert the iodine into thyroxin. If you’re deficient in protein nutrients, the body can't make thyroxin no matter how much iodine you take.

Treating thyroid disease with thyroxin before provinding proper nutrition is akin to adding gas directly to the fuel pump without checking to see if there’s gas in the car. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.