Test results. Are they normal like my doctor says?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm a 27 year old female and recently my hair just started shedding a lot and it hasn't stopped. My doctor decided to check my throid levels as I do have a lot of the symptoms but he says they are fine and I'm just left with no other answers sad these were my results. He only did a TSH and Free T4. I appreciate any help!

Results:

TSH: 1.68 uIU/mL

Free T4: 0.89 ng/dL

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hello

Have him check your T3

• Posted

Okay I will do that, what do you think of those results so far?
  • Posted

Hi, your T3 is low. The normal range is 3.1 - 6.2, so it is not surprising that you have the symptoms. Your TSH is in the normal range but the T3 has a major impact. Lots of doctors have the blinders on and only go by TSH, so you need to go back and try for a referral to an endocrinologist.  Good luck!
  • Posted

Normal range for T4 is 9 - 19 so yours is way low as well. Sorry I misread your first post.
    • Posted

Thank you. I made a new spot with someone else since my doctor won't do anything else for me. Their standard range is 0.59 - 1.61 ng/dL for T4 free and since I'm in that range I'm good I guess.

• Posted

Hello Ang55:

My name is Shelly and I am an RN in the USA.  I have Hashimoto's thyroid disease since 1987.

Your blood TSH is normal and 0.45 to 4.50 is normal and you are at 1.68.

FT4 is  normal also, range is 0.77 to 1.77 and you are okay there at 0.89.  Just for good measure have a T3 level done as it is the useable hormone the body needs and T4 is converted inside the thyroid into T3 and that hormone is very important for our bodies.

Now the early phases of Hypothyroidism can be sneaky and symptoms do not always jive with the blood.  I did lose hair in 1987 but I also had many other Hypo symptoms. Check and see if anyone in your family has it, and notify your doctor if you have a family history of it.  You may need to see an Endocrinologist.

Symptoms to look for are: tired all the time, brain foggy, weight gain despite diet, muscle aches and pains, no periods or infrequent ones, brittle nails and dry scalp,  dry skin, depression feeling, hair loss, low temp and pulse.  There are more these are common.

Also please have a dermatologist check your hair for any kind of folliculitis which can also cause hair loss.  Some people get itchy bumps or lose hair from hair follicules that can get Staph in them.  Staph is a germ on our skin but it can go into the hair follicule and mess it up.

Eat well, make sure all vitamins and minerals are good to include B12, B1, Vit C and Vit D, Vit E and magnesium, potassium, calcium, Iron and Ferritin.  Iron is needed for proper hair growth and for other ways our body uses it .

Any questions, just ask,

Shelly

• Posted

Thank you so much for the reply. I did have my dermatologist look at my scalp and she said it looks fine. I don't have any pimples that hurt or anything, could I have staph and not have pimples? I really want to figure out what's going on but this isn't just regular thinning. It's way too much at a time.

• Posted

Hello Ang55:

Sometimes you can have Staph and not know it. However it sounds more like Hypothyroidism.

I think it could be the early phases of Hypothyroidism.  It really is a symptom that something is wrong.  I know the blood looks good, but it takes time for the blood to get worse.   I had that and lot's of my hair was thinning in my early days of the disease.

Please get your doctor to give you a trial of Levothyroxine 25mcg (low  starter dose) and if you feel better or your hair stops thinning, then you solved the problem.   It took me about 6 months to grow back what I had lost.

Keep us posted on how you do,

Shelly

• Posted

Hi, so I had my vitamin D levels checked and my number was 43, and that's also in their range of being normal.

• Posted

Hello Ang:

Vitamin D normal range is 30 to 100.  However the person's age comes into play here.  If you are young, you should be 80 to 100 and if you are older or over 65, you should be 30 to 50 without replacement. 

If on supplements (vit D) it should be higher than 43.  Most doctors like it in the  50 to 75 range for preventing osteoporosis and bone problems, and muscle aches..

Being Hypo, we can be low at a younger age and it may take a higher dose in Vit D supplements to get us back to where we should be.  I take 2000  IU a day but some people are on 5000 IU a day.

I still would ask the doctor for Levothyroxine 25mcg low dose because you have many symptoms of Hypo.

Any questions just ask,

Shelly

• Posted

Thank you for the reply. I am 27, and between my multi I take and the extra D3 i usually take, Id say Ive been consistantly taking 1800 IU a day, and my number is 43 with that. I see my new doctor next week, so Im going to ask about a trial.
    • Posted

Hello Ang55:

At age 27, you should be much higher than 43 in Vit D range.  I know it is a wide range between 30 to 100, as the "so called normal range", but you are young and should be above 70 at that age.

Ask the doctor and explain any symptoms you have and log them down on a piece of paper and ask for a trial of Levothyroxine (Synthroid) 25mcg starter dose.

Please keep me posted on how it goes.

Shelly

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.