Testing for caeliac

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've had constant diarrhoea (water basically) for last 5 days.....no pain or nausea and feel generally well so went to gp who asked if anyone in family has caeliac.....I have a cousin had it since a child so doctor now wants stool sample and blood test. I'm well aware of various symptoms but feel he being bit drastic where I am concerned as I feel very well......should I be concerned?

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Janine

Its good that the docs doing a test for ceoliac so early on. Usually it's the same old quote you get that's it's ibs or a virus are the favourite to explain patients symptoms away. So well done to your GP.

if you are ceoliac it's a concern but a concern that can be dealt with.

I was diagnosed 2 years ago and once on the gluten free diet I feel fantastic. It made me realise how rough I'd felt I had pain with mine and couldn't go to the loo along with anemia.(Lots of people have diarrhoea lwith ceoliac disease)

I find the Gf diet no problem at all it stops me eating junk.....I think it's how you approach it.....I do lots of sport and like to eat health and Gf compliments that.....lots of athletes eat Gf

Debs 

• Posted

Thanks for reply deb....He did mention ibs because I do feel relatively well....I get tired but I'm not particularly fit and I pit it down to age...but as I've had no pain/cramping he suggested ruling out caeliac first.....might be worth trying the gluten free in the meantime as im off work with this at present as the frequency of bowel movements is not ideal as I work in community....so anything that may improve symptoms ill give it a go

• Posted

That would be a good idea, but make sure you continue to eat gluten until you've had your bloods done. If bloods confirm your coeliac you'll need to continue to eat gluten for a further test.

May I ask how old you are ? I'm 51 so it was a bit of a shock to find I was coeliac at 49.

• Posted

Hi, Janine - your doctor sounds like a good one!  I think you should be more concerned if you had CD and it wasn't found...there are so many problems from so many people who live for years unaware of their CD.

It doesn't sound to me like you have coeliac, but then again, I didn't think my son had it, either. His symptoms weren't gastric so much as all-over pain (mostly in joints, sometimes in his side), and fatigue and moodiness. He's so much better after diagnosis (and going GF) and it's worth all of the effort to keep him well and safe.

Whatever you have, good luck! 

• Posted

Hi Janine,

Sorry you've not been well, and while it's quite possible you have coeliac disease, it could be any number of things. Also, 5 days isn't really a very long time to have the symptoms you describe. (A bug/IBS or many other things), I'm glad your doctor is testing you for coeliac disease, but please be aware that you can get 'false negatives' and blood tests may come back negative yet you still can have it.  You need an endoscopy with biopsies taken to get a more accurate diagnosis, so if your symptoms continue and you also get a negative blood test, you really need to take the next step and have the endoscopy to be sure. 

Try keeping a food diary, with everything you eat and drink, including any medication, you may have a food intolerance. Things like dairy, soya, fructose etc.  Try playing food detective for a while. One last thing, don't give up eating gluten until all tests for coeliac disease have been ruled out as you need to be eating gluten. 

Hope all all goes well for you.

• Posted

P.S. Spotted an error in reply. I meant to say 'a bug/IBS or other things could be the cause of your symptoms'

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.