Testing for D3 level

Posted , 5 users are following.

My Ophthamalogist just ordered a D3 test. I was surprised, as I am always out in the sun. I am a Nurse, so I looked this up and discovered that he must be thinking SARCOIDOSIS. This affects the eyes (Blurred vision, Sensitivity to light, Eye pain and itching, Burning and redness, Tears, Inflammation), and you can develop Granulomas. I actually have 3 Pyogenic Granulomas on my leg, abdomen and chest, recently. This finally makes sense. My instincts were telling me that there was some underlying disease process going on and this wasn't simply dry eyes. For years I have known that I have Lagophthalmos. My eye lids don't close all the way when I close my eyes, which contributes to dry eyes.  I just wanted to share this with others who might be thinking that they don't simply have dry eyes.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Thanks for sharing Tara.  Luckily for me I think I just have dry eyes. Hope all goes well with the treatment.
  • Posted

My dry eyes have to do with inadequate tear quality. Nobody seems to know how to deal with that other than to give me drops to put in. That just exacerbates the condition .... Surely something so simple must have a solution??? One would think, huh? .... Perhaps we don't complain enough? 😜
    • Posted

There are ways other than drops, but if drops are exacerbating the situation you may simply have the wrong drops.

I went through about 15 before I found those that worked for me and I now alternate between five different drops and use them as frequently as I feel the need.

Alternatives could be a course of Restasis (didn't work for me but does for many).

Or punctual plugs as a last resort, where they plug your drainage ducts so what tear flow there is last longer.

Speak to your GP/ophthalmologist.

Good luck!

• Posted

None of the eye drops I am presently using seems to help at all. Restasis, FML (steroid), and Thera Tears. Even tried antibiotic eye drops and eye gel at night time, oh, and an eye mask. 
    • Posted

Best I felt for a ling time was when I had cataract surgery. They put anaesthetic drops in my eyes and for a couple of minutes my eyes actually felt comfortable .... Think I could ask for those drops for permanent use??
    • Posted

They actually told me that I would want those anesthetic eye drops when they put them in, so I guess there are a lot of other people who say that.
    • Posted

Ha ha. Yes! Isn't it a relief?

Sadly not available on prescription or any other way. Presumably quite dangerous with too much use.

• Posted

If you have gland disfunction. Mgd/blepharitis there are different treatments for dry eye. You have to have your lids examined and they test the lipids produced by your glands.
  • Posted

My D3 level came back totally normal. My problem with the Ophthamologist is that they want to dilate my pupils, and I have blue eyes (more sensitive to dilation). I can't see for more than 6 hours, and driving home is painful, even with dark sun glasses. 

I have been told that there use to be dilation reversal drops, but that they were so expensive, the eye doctors stopped using them. I also found out that some Ophthamologists have an instrument called an Optomap, which allows them to see inside the eye without the need for dilation, as long as they do not have a reason to suspect something more serious.

You would think that in this day and age, they would have something less expensive, and available, to reverse the dilation immediately, or else dilation drops that are faster acting and shorter lasting, so that by the time you leave the doctor's office, your pupils are back to normal.

I can't be the only person who does not want to go to the eye doctor because of this, and finding someone to drive me is not something I can do. Everyone is working.

• Posted

Yes. Difficult. This is where family are expected to step in and support you by driving you home... no longer feesible in this day and age.

Sometimes someone just has to take the time off.

No one you can ask?

• Posted

How long does it take to wear off?

If you're taking the monring off anyway, why not give yourself a treat and sit in a cafe somewhere and enjoy the passing over a latte till your vision comes back?

What better excuse do you need to do nothing?

• Posted

Family does not live anywhere near me. Can't ask someone else to take off of work to drive me. Just not feasible
    • Posted

How about a taxi,you also can ask them not to put so much of the drop in,sometimes they overdo the dose. Im also going to ask if they have a preservative free drop,they are easier on the eye.Xx
  • Posted

It takes 6 hours or longer for the drops to wear off, so I am only comfortable in the dark. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.