Testing for Hypothyroidism

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am going for blood testing next week for Hypothyroidism. Syptoms have been increasing and progressing for many months. Weight Gain, anxiety, pins and needles, fatigue, generalised muscle pain, lack of concentration, palpitations, heat, arthritic pains, light headedness (although not as much) Does anyone else relate to these symptoms??

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Yes I can relate to these symptoms! I was diagnosed 18 months ago and prescribed 50 mcg levothyroxine. I felt better at first but have regressed over the last few months. Finally I saw an endocrinologist last week who ordered a repeat thyroid test and other autoimmune tests and a vitamin D test. He believes it's important to push thyroxine levels to upper limits not just to close to lower limit s so he's going to increase my thyroxine and he also says I have a very low Vitamin D level so he's prescibed what he calls a 'strong dose' of that. He reassured me that this will deal with the muscle/joint pains and the fatigue. I feel really hopeful and grateful for a sympathetic consultant and feel justified in pushing for this appointment against the wishes of my g p. So ,fingers crossed for both you and me!
    • Posted

Thanks for replying, it is good to know someone else who has been diagnosed has the same symptoms. My mother has had Hypothyroidism for years. The GP I saw (Not my own and first time) has ordered quite a lot of blood tests. She did ask one question which threw me a bit. She asked what I would do if the result came back negative. Is that not up to the GP to decide the next step??
  • Posted

Hi Kat - very obvious hypo symptoms so I hope you get some meds soon. It usually begins with a low dose - 25 or 50 mcgs of levothyroxine, and will increase until your blood tests are within range (or if you're lucky intil your symptoms are gone) We do need certain vitamins and minerals in order to help our thyroid to function. Vit D, B12, ferritin and folate should ALL be tested and need to be in the upper quarter of the range. So if it comes back neg these are the tests you ask for!!! Dont forget to post here when you get your results. Good luck smile
    • Posted

I will most definately chase on these bloods if I get a negative result. I am thinking it wont tho as my mother has had it for years. It is really good to know this other blood test info as I had no idea, thanks for the information.
    • Posted

Hi Jill

Wee update, had blood test results. TSH Lowest normal range in 0.3 mines is 0.14. T4 is 18 which is normal, T3 is 2. On Thyroid UK Website it says lowest normal range is 4. Very confusing, have to meet the doctor next week. Also to be retested in 2 months.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.