Testing for stomach acid

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi All

Found a good explantation of the simple home test to find out if you have too much or too little acid. Anyway its done by a Board chap so it must be recognised. To find the article just Google doctor debe self-test stomach-acid-assessment. Beats doing the 24 hour tube down the throat method and a heck of a lot cheaper!

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Thanks! For the info. I just read the article. I will try that test in the morning.
  • Posted

Thank you I have wanted to know the answer to this for a few weeks now.

stopped taking pantoprazole (PPI) because I thought maybe had too little stomach acid because was feeling bloated and they weren't working

• Posted

Hi Rex not taking PPIs anymore. Am on Ranitidine (Zantac) 300 mg which is an H2 blocker twice daily.

Am going to start drinking liquorice tea now that I have found one without any peppermint in it.

even though I suffer heartburn off and on throughout the day I have been able to resume running by chewing gum while I do it. This stops any heartburn and leaves me feeling much better.

• Posted

Hi Rex,

i tried the test this morning and didn't burp at all. Does that mean then that I have low stomach acid? Should I still take my rinitadine? Which is supposed to suppress acid.

• Posted

Hi Janine - interesting isnt it? We are all taking these acid reducing drugs for all the wrong reasons. To boost it I use ACV and lemon juice, make sure to use natural rock salt. In your case though I would give DGL a go if I were in your shoes. Best of luck!
    • Posted

Hi Rex,

found some DGL pills at a health food shop today.

expensive here in New Zealand. What dosage do you recommend?

they gave me 2 to try tonight 20minutes before dinner and breakfast tomorrow and them if I like them I am going to spend $NZ52 to get 90 pills.

• Posted

Tried the test again in the afternoon about 5pm and I burped within a minute and for about a minute so I guess I have stomach acid build up during the day?
    • Posted

I have just tried it again and i burped right away too. Or would anyone do that during the day?
  • Posted

Hi Rex,

i have been burping a lot lately especially when I get out of bed in the morning or get up from a sitting position.

i tried the acid test again this morning ( after having burped about 20 times upon getting up) . Still no burping with the test. So if I have low stomach acid ( according to the test) why do I burp so much?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.