Testosterone?

Posted , 4 users are following.

i had a hysterectomy 4 years ago and have been on evorel 50mg since. I havent felt 100% since the op especially with back ache and legs aching when i walk. i was wondering if anyone has testosterone hrt as i have read this helps with libido ( which mine is long gone), energy and your memory .

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

HI Nannyrose,

I've been on bio identical hormone replacement for 4 years that has included testosterone. Women need testosterone too. It has worked wonders for my libido and other things as well such as toning my muscles and my overall well being. I feel it gives you more energy too. I've actually had my testosterone increased several times to get me where I feel I want to be. My doc does regular lab work. I used compounded creams the first three years and now on pellets that I get every 3-4 months.

• Posted

hi jude

thank you for your reply, i have no energy, my back and legs ache all the time especially if i walk a while. Im going to menopause clinic in a hospital in january, dont know what to expect and i hope they dont try to stop my oestrogen hrt as i am 54 years old now and keep hearing off my doctor that as i am at the normal age of menopause i shouldnt need anything now. I really do not want to come off them as before i had them i felt 90!

• Posted

If you are now at 'normal' age for menopause, it would be time to start hrt instead of having a life full of suffering. Tell your dr to go bag his head if he tries to put that onto you. You must be assertive and call his bluff (ignorance really). Arm yourself with real medical research on hrt support and leave it with him to read.

I am now 68 and have been using oestradiol since 1990 when I had to have a hysterectomy. The gyne who did the surgery put me onto oestradiol pellets straight away. It became problematic when they stopped manufacturing the pellets, so went to patches but they are inconvenient compared to an implanted pellet. Now compound chemists can make pellets but I have found them not as good as the factory made pellets because they just don't have the compressing equipment so the pellets don't last as long. However, they are still the best thing ever.

I do fall back on the patches with one day of oestradiol gel to top up when my pellets start to run out and it takes a while to get a new script and send it to compound chemist and receive the pellet, then have an appointment to get it implanted.

My body just does not like low let alone no oestrogen - makes my life and everyone around me hell. My endocrinologist told my dr to treat the symptoms, not the bloods (which sometimes indicate my levels are 'normal' but I am sweating like crazy and so angry and intolerant and my body is falling to bits).

So lots of luck to you and let us know how you go.

• Posted

Nannyrose,

I'm 59, I plan to stay on bio identicals for the rest of my life.

• Posted

sheryl

thank you for your reply, thats really good to know that youve been on hrt for so long. i ve done alot of research on google about this and had replies a few years ago about some ladies that also are on hrt, just wondered if anyone had testosterone and if it made a difference. i certainly will not give in easily, its my body and my life at the end of the day, i need oestrogen

• Posted

Thats good to know jude, i definately dont want to stop mine then

• Posted

Nannyrose,

If your on the right hormones with a good doctor that monitors labs and gives you what your body needs and your healthy, there is no need to come off of them. Bio identical hormones actually offer the body many good things along with protecting us from a lot of bad stuff potentially too. Mentally and physically I feel great. The only regret I have is I didn't get on them sooner when i was going through 10 years of peri symptoms.

• Posted

Change doctors. Your doctor is a complete idiot. Either it's a him who doesn't have a clue or a young her who also doesn't have a clue. HRT changes your life!

• Posted

joanne, you made me laugh, my doctor is a him and a young newly qualified in at that! i went to the menopause clinic, saw a lovely lady gyno who runs the menopause clinic, she said my oestrogen was too low, she has ladies on 50mg of oestrogen that has their ovaries, i have none. She increased mine to 100mg and said as long as i feel fine there is no need to come off them at all. She also put me on testosterone gel, one pump every other day and within 2 months i felt alot better, i feel more or less how i did before my hysyerectomy. What a wonderul doctor she is and i thank god i didnt give in

• Posted

good news! a gyno that actually undrstands and listens! shes doubled my oestrogen and once that is absorbed into my body shes putting me on testosterone gel too. she says i may be on this for life and any of the warning risks are NOT for women without a womb, as i have virtually no orstrogen she said i need more than a woman with ovaries which she prescribes 50mg to them! time will tell but at last i have help

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.