Testosterone Replacement causing Prostate Cancer Symptoms

Posted , 10 users are following.

I have been on TRT now for many years. At age 47 I noticed I developed problems like not being able to pass urine well, pain in my rectum and in front. Also pain in my back and hips. I stopped the TRT for a while and noticed that the symptoms got better. When I started up again by the second dose of Testosterone I was struggling to urinate again. Also orgasm is painful, it burns and causes the feeling or needing to go urinate badly but I really don't need to. Worst of all that lasts for over an hour. My PSA was tested and was great at only .24, so probably not PC but I think I have BPH that is caused by the Testosterone replacement therape. Not sure what to do about it. My testosterone is so low without TRT that it was barely measurable and as a result my bones are brittle so I need it to prevent Osteoperosis. I have my annual PSA test coming up again and I don't expect it to be high, but the symptoms are severe and making me wonder. I am 49 now and I read that men that are low in testosterone are more at risk for PC. I wonder also if one can have such a low PSA and still have PC? Also if I did how would they figure it out as my PSA is so low they would never think to give me a 3T MRI to check for it. Would be tough to convince insurance to pay for a 3T MRI with such a low PSA. I guess I need to talk to my urologist about my concerns. Any one have this low of a PSA with PC and if so how did they find out?

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

If I'm not mistaken PSA isn't that great of an indicator for prostate cancer. That said  if my psa was that low cancer would be off my list of thngs to worry about. If I was a betting man I'd be thinking prostatitis. Of the 3 different uros I've had none of them would even entertain the idea I had prostatitis even though I had classic symtoms. No money to be made I guess.

• Posted

It’s actually very common but urologists don’t have many answers so tend to rule everything else out before settling on prostatitis. They can’t operate on it and there is no medication apart from pain killers . It does sometimes higher PSA but not always . In younger men it’s massively more common than BPH or PC 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.