Tests show “normal” TSH levels according to doctors, help please :)

Posted , 3 users are following.

Looking for some help, and I’ll try not to make this too long lol. So I have seen 3 different doctors in regards to seeing if I am hyperthyroid/have a thyroid issue. I have a lot of symptoms that have come out of nowhere in the last year. Loosing weight, out of control eye problems (red, swollen, itchy, gritty, dry scales all around eyes), dry skin in general, dry brittle hair and nails, hair thinning, my menstral cycle is not regular, periods of exhaustion etc etc. One Doctor did my TSH blood test, it came back .88 with the normal range being from .4 to 5.5. This doctor told me my TSH was in “normal range” so I was fine. I later asked the Doctor to test my T4, this result was 10.1 with the normal range being from 5.5 to 10.2. Even though I was .1 away from being “too high”, the doctor said I was fine and in normal range. I have been trying to get to the bottom of what is happening with my body for a year now with no help. Any doctor I see always does one blood test and as long as it comes back “normal” they say I am fine. I feel like no one wants to get to the bottom of what’s going on. I have another appointment scheduled with a highly recommended doctor so hopefully I will get some answers. But the reason for my post is I am curious if anyone has similar blood work results? My thoughts were that I am so close to the “not normal” that there might be an issue going on with the thyroid. I am no expert, just curious if anyone had any similar experiences or some guidance in different tests etc to try next. Thank you in advanced and I apologize for the length of this. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Julia, I wonder how long have you been encountering those symptoms and how many tests were done? Could you tell more about timing information, we would more likely have commented on your case. If you have multiple tests at the various time, let's see the test results in the timeline would be more helpful.

• Posted

I appreciate your reply mike! I have been having these symptoms for 1 year. They first measured my TSH, roughly four weeks ago. Then just last week they did my T4. That was the only testing that was done. 
  • Posted

Julia, You need to just keep on the doctors about your symptoms and have them keep checking your levels they all should be checked not just one at a time! My TSH was the first test that was out of range for me. Then the t4 and t3 went flying through the roof 2 months later landed in the hospital a week before Christmas. For a week!I started to feel bad in August and in October is when my TSH was low and was never put on medicine or even told by the ER doctors that it was low. I found out when I was in the Hospital in December the Endo told me that I had been trending towards hyperthyroidism for a few months. My advice to you is that if you are having symptoms and your T4 is at the high end of the range you need to make them watch your levels. Watch out for shakes, feeling nervous, sweating, not being able to sleep,4high heart rate and high blood pressure. I was put on 30 mg of methimazole and 80 mg of propranolol and kolonopin , iron and vitamin D3 I hope you are feeling ok. I just don't want the doctors to do to you what they did to me. Not Listen!! Please let me know how you are doing. Good Luck and remember it's your body and the doctors work for you!

• Posted

Thank you so much Jeanine! That’s exactly how I feel- like none of the doctors are listening! Very frustrating, especially when my body is telling me something is wrong and my blood work is so close to the deemed “wrong range”. And thank you for the advice, I will definitely have them watch my levels. So so appreciated! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.