Tetanus shot reaction

Posted , 3 users are following.

Last Thursday I received a tetanus shot. No symptoms from it until Tuesday night was feeling a bit hot and a little red. Woke up yesterday(Wednesday) to a red swollen arm. I had comments about it becauE it was looking extra large and was asked if I had a bad burn. Before bed I drew around the red with a pen to see if it grew overnight.

Woke up this morning and the redness had spread over an inch outside the lines. Drew a around it again at 1pm and it has spread again since then. It's still swollen and red but doesn't look as bad. Itchy and red, sore around. Spread more to the inner arm as well.

Should I be concerned? Anyone had any reaction like this a week after the fact? Also, I've been taking iboprophen and Benadryl.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I've had a bad reaction to a tetanus shot. The whole of my arm became swollen and red and itchy. Within a week it had subsided. It's more common than you think to have a reaction. From anything from a small swelling to more serious matters. If you are at all worried, you should see your doctor, especially if you start to feel ill or it starts to get worse again. I hope this helps with your concerns.

• Posted

I agree try not to worry I am sure it will subside, if it doesn't or gets worse see your GP
  • Posted

I too had a 'severe local reaction' to a tetanus injection many years ago.  I was told by my GP not to have a booster for at least 10 years.  In fact, that was nearly 30 years ago and I haven't had one since!
  • Posted

I actually ended up going to emerg. My arm was swollen and red from my shoulder to my elbow, hot and sore.

I ended up getting strong antibiotics with double the dosage for three days. Because I had no symptoms of a reaction for 5 days after the shot, it was either a bacterial infection or cellulitis. The antibiotic works for both, so I'm hoping that this is the end and everything gets cleared up!

• Posted

I'm glad you've seen a doctor.  I hope it all works out well for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.