TGN and work

Posted , 4 users are following.

Ive had tgn for two years, and it’s gradually got worse although thankfully not to the child birth levels of pain some of you have described. Im awaiting mri results, have had teeth out, have seen a neurologist and consequently I’m taking 600mg of carbomazepine twice a day and feel like I’ve been lobotomised with a concentration span of about 2 minutes. I’ve got some great employers and haven’t had to miss work yet, but unless I can get my brain together soon their patience may run out...I start a lot of meetings by explaining that any wincing I do isn’t a response to something they’ve said...I appreciate this is very circumstantial but wondered what sufferers have done to balance pain/ pills and Work.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Good luck with the MRI scan Tim! I had one about eight months ago and was told it didn't show up anything. Since my TN has got worse since then, maybe I need another one. I find the carbamazepine affects my concentration too. Some days seem better than others though. If I'm at work and I feel the pain getting worse I just disappear for a couple of minutes and take another pill. Fortunately I only work part time for a local charity and the work is not very demanding but I do have to talk (and hopefully smile!) to people. I think its good that you explain things before you start the meetings. You might even meet some fellow sufferers, though I havn't met any yet. This forum has been a god send!

• Posted

Hi Tim10352,

Most of us have type A personalities - tend to get stressed or worry too much.

Try to cut down on work and sugar consumption (zero if possible).

Sugar worsens our nerve condition - you can Google for “sugar nerve damage”.

Back in the earlier days, the consumption of sugar in the UK was almost zero per person before it was introduced from the middle east. The annual consumption was 18 pounds of sugar per person. Today, the consumption of sugar is roughly 150 pounds per person per year in the United States!

Stay strong, healthy and well,

Mark44210

• Posted

Thanks Mark, I haven’t come across the sugar link before so will investigate further. Best wishes
  • Posted

My doctor is very smart. He diagnosed TN after about a year. He told me the disease is progressive. I didn’t believe him, but he was right.  The main artery and the 5th cranial nerve were fused in my head.  But surgery didn’t help, and left me with a more intense pain.  I try to keep a positive attitude. But that’s easier said than done.  I hope you feel better. My heart is with you. 
  • Posted

Hi Tim,

I didn't see this a couple days ago when I posted something about work issues. I have taken a medical leave in the past, because I had sick leave I could use it to help cover the bills while off work and trying to figure out medication.

I tried returned to work full-time, but ended up retiring early from teaching, as I just couldn't do the job due to the combination of medication side effects and unpredictable flares that caused me to not go to work for a several days at a time.

So I have a small pension, and now work for myself part-time. I  have a lot more flexibility in scheduling, etc. and don't have to worry about a supervisor looking over my shoulder, which helps. I work part-time, and even full-time when things are going well.

If I have tics occur when meeting with someone, I tell them before I start the meeting. I also have ptosis that progresses throughout the day, so I let people know that twill happen as well (by the end of the day my right eye is almost shut). I find that as long as I alert people ahead of time of these types of observable behaviors, they don't  have any problems continuing to work with  me. I do find, however, that I have to take frequent breaks and rest. To push myself to try long hours is a set up for a flare.

I hope this is a bit helpful. I'm happy to discuss this more if you should want.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.