Thanatophobia

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi guys, I'm writing this after having my first panic attack in about a year and wondered if anyone else on here has the same phobia as me?

I've only ever met 1 other person so far but unfortunately lost contact.

I just want to know if it's a rare phobia or if there's more people out there than I realise.

Hope you're all well.

D X

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I had to look this one up. This is a terrible thing to stress about. We are all afraid to think about  death, but with your phobia it's all you think about. On this site we all suffer from anxiety, but it's helps to know that there are other people out there like yourself. I'm sure there are many. Hope you hook up with someone on this site,so you can talk about it.

• Posted

Thanks Kimberly, I just hope that I can find someone in the same predicament as me just so I can find someone to talk to and find empathy from someone who knows what I'm going through.

Just hope I can x

• Posted

Scary ! Are you seeing a Phychiatrist? I freak out about it anytime I have a medical problem. But push it out of my mind because it's life and one day yes it is going to happen. None of us are getting out alive. I am wondering if your phobia started by seeing someone dead or dying? I can't deal with that stuff and avoid it at all costs. But we have to train our minds to think of more positive thinking. Push that out! What good does it do but make you miserable! So Think about the present and living and all the awesome stuff you can do. You ever hear of so afraid of dying , scared to Live., Please talk to your Phychiatrist. You may need meds to get you past this . Burn candles meditate , visualize good things. Honey I scare the beejesus out of myself , especially when I was young. Now when I look. Back on it what a waste of time. Live??🌹

• Posted

I'm awaiting my first CBT appointment, had my assessment to find out what level I needed now it can take up to 6 weeks for my first appointment.

just can't wait for it to start.

This all started when just as 15 and my Nan who I was very close to passed away from cancer, I know why it started I just can't seem to stop it.

I think about it all day every day and can't seem to really put it out of my mind for more than a few hours.

It just takes over my whole life at the moment.

I'm on antidepressants at the moment and plan to go back on propranolol seeing as the panic attacks have started up again, seeing doctor next week.

I try meditation and go to gym to help release endorphins but it's all just a temporary fix that never seems to last more than a few weeks.

I am scared to live I guess which only makes my anxiety worse.

Thanks for the response anyway x

• Posted

I've had this since I was young.

Its constant and I'm52.

I never knew there was a name for it.

Both my parents are still alive and I dread the end..my boyfriends mother is 88 so I think about this a lot...I'm up at 330 am thinking about it...and so much panic...I had to move to couch...for some reason I feel safer here than locked in my box of a room.

I have no suggestions..except when I am on the right medication I think about it less.

• Posted

Yes Missy meds do help. Our minds run amonk and we over think. I don't want to think about that. I know this, I have fainted before and knocked myself out on cement. You know nothing, nothing. It's just when our brains think about the scary stuff. Try to push it out! If your Spiritual at all go that route! It also helps. Our bodies are just a shell we live in for now.

• Posted

Hi,

I know how you feel. My phobia has extended from just myself to my loved ones now which sucks.

I fear for them and what I will do.

How have you managed to cope so long? X

• Posted

I haven't coped..I deal with it all the time and feel really morbid all the time. Very afraid to tell most people how "obsessed" I am with death...

I did tell a new pdoc today...since I saw your post (I thought I was the only one)....She said I have OCD...boy are they quick to diagnose.

But, I am willing to try the new medications she has offered. And I haven't been SO honest about this "death obsession" in years because I thought I was just "sick".....

So Olanzapine and Prozac....going to try it.

I have found that some antidepressents over the years have controlled the thoughts sometimes..but always stop them due to other side effects.

• Posted

Hi missy,

I've read up quite a bit on phobias, as you can imagine, and having a severe phobia can actually cause agoraphobia and OCD because of the stress the anxiety causes so I wouldn't be surprised if you have developed OCD over the years.

Is prozac like diazepam??

I know what you mean about the antidepressants but they only seem to work on high doses for me, I was on 180mg effexor but then went down to 75mg and I think that's why it's all started up again, going back to my doctors next week to have it put up again and go back on propranolol.

Try to get back on track I guess.

Please PM me if you want to talk more. I'd like to.

D x

• Posted

Hi Dannie1989 yes i get this all the time ive only just come to terms that i have anxiety its bad

• Posted

Hi Kris.

I'm sorry it's taken so long for you to come.to terms with anxiety.

I didn't know I had anything but panic attacks until I went to the doctors and they told me I had depression and anxiety to boot.

But I guess now I know it's become so clear, I don't know if this is good or bad.

• Posted

i suffer from this. would love to get help or ideas. pm me

• Edited

i know this was 4 years ago but

i think i have it too

i thought i was more alone than this

i want to die but i'm too scared

i've seen your other posts so i know you felt the same

where did you go?

did you do it?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.