Thank god I found this link.

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi everyone! Hope some of you people on this thr ad still come back and chat. Can't believe I've maybe found the reason to this weight gain and not being able to shift it like I used too. Been on pizotifen for many years and never thought this was hat was causing my weight gain. Thought it was age, perimenapause or me eating to much. They have helped my migraines I suppose but I try so many fab diets that I end up feelin rubbish anyway. Going to cut dose down and see.

thanks for reading. Hope someone replies cus I'm so fed up of feeling crap about myself xx Tracey xx

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tracey,i totally know how you feel,i have been on 1.5 mg pizotifen for about 8 months now and have put on 1 1/2 stone,not a happy bunny at all.i have tried several diets but its just not shifting,if anything the weight is going up.

i dont know what to do about this medication because they really do help with the migraines from hell

• Posted

Hi Bee

thanks for taking the time to read and reply to my post. Means loads.

yeah this pill did work for my migraines but I've been on them 15 yrs or so now. Never thought my weight prob had anything to do with meds until I read this link. I also have tried every diet and after the first week nothing else comes off.

i have now stopped taking them as I don't know if my body was immune to them anyway after all these years. Please do not stop takin yours with docs advice. Been off em a week now and lost 2lb after been stuck at same weight for ages even tho sticking to a 1200 cal diet religiously. Can't say for def if it's cus I'm off the tabs but will know for sure with my next Monday weigh in. Good luck my love x

• Posted

I thing im going to see my GP for an alternative,i once tried sumatripam (i think thats what they where called) but they made me feel so spaced out and my head was popping,so they are a no no.

How are you managing your migraines now,or have they gone?

Best of luck with the weigh in xx

• Posted

It's only a week since stopping Pizotifen but no migraine as yet. Feel more clear headed tho. I take sumatriptam in the form of a nasal spray that immediately attack the migraine. They are a cure not a prevention. As with any meds the longer you use them the less effective they are. But I still carry one everywhere I go. I get prescribed 6 sprays a month. I also take a pain killer called Solpadol. Let me know how you get on at docs and good luck. 

Beem reading about a migraine pill that helps,you lose weight as well. It's called topamax and is again a preventive drug that you take all the time like pizotifen. That as side effects too tho but you love se your appetite apparently. That alone would prob cause me a migraine xx

• Posted

Phoned for GP appointment,typical hes on holiday for 2 weeks.

I like the sound of that Topamax,i will suggest it to gp when hes back xx

• Posted

Good luck. Let me know what he thinks about topamax. Do some research on it first tho cus some of the side effects sounded awful. X
    • Posted

Been to GP this morning and he has put me on Topamax,25mg starting at night,i am going to collect them from the chemist tomorrow and get started so i`ll let you know how i get on
    • Posted

Thanks bee! 

Did he mention any side effects? Hope they work for you Hun! 

Let me know how you get on with them!

good luck 👍🏾

• Posted

Hi Tracey,GP just said as with a lot of medication that affects your brain,it has side affects,he didnt mention anything bad,and just told me to have a good read at the leaflet with the tablets which i did.Some of the side affects look pretty badbut as do alot of these side affects leaflets on many meds.

Well im now on day 5,taking 6 tonight,i havent had any migraine feelings whatsoever,not even a headache,not even had to take any pain releif.i weighed myself this morning and have lost 2lbs,and that cant be to do with diet as i had a chinese takeaway on thursday,a boozey night out on friday and pizzahut for mothers day yesterday,so im really really happy,these little tablets seem to be doing the trick for my head and my weight,i really hope it continues,i will keep you updated xx

• Posted

i meant to say i havent experienced any of the side affects with these,i know its early days but so far so good
    • Posted

Hi Bee

wow well done you on weightloss although you didn't behave lol.

so glad you've found something that keeps the migraines away too.

Ive only read about Topamax so was worried when I told you about in case they made you worse! Thank god they haven't 🤗

Ive got my review soon after my bloods have come back and think I gonna ask about them. I know doc ain't gonna be too pleased about me taking myself of Pizotifen but tough! Enough is enough. Really hope they keep working for you. Oh and glad you had a Mother's Day (weekend) binge 😃 Life's too short for no treats! Keep coming back to keep me updated. Thanks loads and good luck xx

• Posted

i know i was a tad naughty lol.

Yes i have got to admit when i read some of the side affects i was in 2 minds whether to take them or not but id just had enough of the blooming pizotifen,ive never been this heavy in my life,not even when i was pregnant,and itwas just making my depression worse.

Good luck with your review and hope your bloods are ok,keep me posted.

Take care xx

• Posted

Hi Bee

Hope your still ok on the topamax. My review ended up a phone call from doc with blood results cus can't fit me in for 3 weeks and that's when I go on my hols. My bloods came back fine. Dunno bout blood pressure as obviously can't check it thro phone lol. Rubbish my docs.

Altho maybe not a good idea tryin new meds when going away.

will make an appointment when back and see if they'll let me try topamax.

Not had a bad migraine as yet since comin of Pizotifen altho I'm quite more headachey. But I'm going thro menopause too so maybe that's causing it.

Really hope you're well and feeling better about yourself sweetie.

Im losing about a pound a week now Pizotifen is outta my system. Very slow but at least I'm losing now.

Hope to hear from you soon. Take care x

• Posted

Hi there, have just picked up your message. Hope you are getting on OK with your withdrawal. It took me some time as I got bad headaches. If you are experiencing the same hang on in there. It is worth it in the end. Not sure if you are losing weight as a result. For me it proved still a struggle after having the drug in my system for so long. If this proves problematic try the 8 week blood sugar diet. It is marvellous and it works! I have lost all the weight I gained as a result of the drug and more. All the best.
    • Posted

Hi Vanessa

Thank you for your reply. Yes I'm getting lots of headaches but I'm keeping off the piztofen. Go on holiday in a couple of weeks so hoping they've eased off by then. I'm slowly losing weight (about a pound a week) I'm keeping under 1'200 calories a day using my fitness pal. Think I'll try that blood sugar diet when I get back. Do I just google it? 

How you coping without piztofen now? Are you taking any other meds for migraine? Had my review but couldn't actually get to see a doc so it was a phone call review! So didn't mention coming off piztofen.

Thanks and hope your well 😃

• Posted

Hi Tracey

Pleased to hear you have made a good start. I had to withdraw very slowly so you obviously have a greater pain threshold than me.

In terms of diet yes Google with Dr Michael Moseley. It is really for reversing Type 2 diabetes. However given the drug increases blood sugar levels and can put one in a prediabetic state, I thought it worth giving a go. Lost an average of 4 ibs a week without getting hungry. However please note the first few days can be tough whilst the sugar levels even thenselves out. Best do when not working and hate no commitments. After that it is plain sailing.

All the best.

Vanessa

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.