thanks for great tips

Posted , 7 users are following.

Since I have been on this site I have gotten really good advice on handling pain. Today was actually my first day on a bike and I remembered what I read about pedalling back and forth until you can the full rotation. It worked! My left knee has a really sore spot left of the kneecap but once around and it loosened. On bike for 10 minutes. My PT hopped on the one next to me as we were in the main exercise area and we pedalled and talked for 10 min. Felt great!! The hard part? Getting on and off bike...I'm only 5' lol!

4 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Oh well done, Roma 😀 I am hoping to get on the bike next week and will bear your experience in mind.....especially as I too am 5' tall, and with the saddle set high, getting on and off can't be that easy.....!

Wishing you all the best x

• Posted

Thank you very much roma for the info on the bike. I have been so disappointed I could not ride the bike at my gym. So just pedal forward as far as one can, then go back as far? Sounds simple. I Am 178 cms! Thanks again!
  • Posted

It feels great, eh? With my last one I was soooo excited when I got it all the way around. At 3 wks I'm not there yet. I'm vertically challenged too...might have an ince over you. I have my regular bike on a stationary stand and that makes t very difficult t get off. Today was just the 2nd time so I had a bit of difficulty. I would even attemp it without hubby there to catch me if I fell. I'm very happy for you. 
    • Posted

Anne, I think being on a bike at 3 weeks is great! I had both knees done do it is taking me a little longer than some. I am going on 10 weeks now. I was very excited when my foot went around but truth be told... It was because my other foot pushed a bit hard and my feet are in strap so no choice. I am glad though and my knee feels better than before. Good luck!
  • Posted

Wish there was an edit. Would not even think about it. 
  • Posted

Well done Roma. It is a brilliant feeling getting the whole way round.I too am just 5ft and my physio put me on bike at 3 weeks and i thought I was climbing a mountain she ha the seat so high just watch you don't overdo it at home if you are using a bike at home and if you are you still for a few times need to go forward and back before going fully round. Take care xx
  • Posted

Excellent and Bravo for you! This is a huge step in your healing you'll find that cycling will help you loosen things up as well as strengthen and just overall getting that knee feeling right! Sometimes all it takes is that 10 minutes of peddling to get that knee feeling really good ! I am truly happy for you!

Wishing you healing!

Blessings, Deb 😀

• Posted

Well done👍 It's great to hear that you managed to pedal 360'! I didn't manage to turn full circle until I was 7 weeks with my first TKR in 2014 and I've just arrived home from my physio session today for my latest TKR  (6 weeks post op this Monday)which was very depressing as there's now way I can pedal all the way around-backwards or forwards with a 75' bend! The physio massaged my knee and pushed it etc and by the end of the 30 minute session the bend had reached 85' so there might be hope?!
    • Posted

PS I'm also vertically challenged at 5ft 2" so it's very difficult trying to get onto the saddle of the bike when the seat has been raised!🚴
    • Posted

Sorry posted too soon. Wanted to add that I started PT with 80 and 85 bends. Took 6 weeks but I am at 125 and 132 as of yesterday. The bike felt good..I may join the wellness center after I know I can drive by myself. Been putting that off but it's time now. Best of luck!
    • Posted

Enjoy the freedom of driving! I had another go on the static bike this afternoon and managed to do full turn backwards three times! Hurt like mad but thanks to the physio's hard work I might be making a bit of progress😄
    • Posted

Well done Glenda, I went backwards before finally going forwards and even the next few days had to go backwards first before going forwards. Keep going but just be careful you don't overdo it. x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.