Thanks so much everyone

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi,

I just want to thank you so much for the encouragement everyone through this difficult time struggling to reach benchmarks set by PT. I am going to keep trying and get braver in therapy but this is HARD for me. Your comments are a constant reminder to remain calm and carry on razz

1 like, 26 replies

26 Replies

• Posted

Plenty of exercise at home really helps . Take your pain medication regularly , to control your pain . Use ice and moisturise your scar area . Physiotherapists are supposed to encourage their patients , not bully them . Keep up with your recovery and you will get there in the end . You have many years of pain free knee to look forward to . Its 19½ and 17½ years since my TKRs and I have had no problems with them .

• Posted

Thank you David!

i am going to try going to the gym and using an exercise bike to see if that will help me with range of motion since I struggle with heel slides I seem to be plateaued I will still practice them BUT I feel I need something else to get me to do more. I hope this is good idea

• Posted

I'm feeling exactly the same as you. I feel I need to do something to get over this plateau. I'm 5 weeks 2 days. I keep putting my foot up to climb the stairs properly then put it down again. But, we need to think of the end result. I personally can't wait for that day 😀

• Posted

Plateaus are the worst because you don't know when they will end.  All you can do is keep going.  Setbacks are easy.  You know you overdid it so you ice, elevate, rest and resume gradually.

Stairs are in your more distant future.  First, you have to rebuild your atrophied quads, glutes and core...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/post-tkr-exercising-565527

...and then master stairs...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/mastering-post-tkr-stairs-552728

All of this takes months, not days or weeks.  Once I got past a year, I was able to climb stairs alternately without holding onto anything.  Need the strength to do that.  At 19-months, I can do stairs two at a time...no problem.  Time, work and patience...

• Posted

You will get there in the end , if you do the work . You don't get anything for free with TKR recovery . It takes time , patience , hard work and determination to get there . This is a great place to come to , we have all either been through it or are going through it . The lucky ones like myself who have been through recovery can tell you how great it is to be pain free for so many years (19½ for me ) . Something to look forward to . In years to come please come here and advise others going through recovery . 

• Posted

I'm seeing my gp on Tuesday next week to ask if they can refer me for physio. I just feel stuck and can't bend as much as I'd like because of a pain on the outside of my knee. Thanks Chico 😀

• Posted

I can't wait, it's great hearing everyone's success stories and how they got there 😀

• Posted

"...can't bend as much as I'd like..." is completely irrelevant.  You will bend your knee as much as you can at the present time.  Next week it will be more, and then more the week after that.  Forget expectations, forget measurements.  No excuses, do the work.  The pain has nothing to do with it either.  We all experience it...we all endure it.  You will too.  BE STRONG!!!  We're here...

• Posted

Hi Robin. This forum has been a life line for me. Being 56 and relatively young for a TKR , I have constantly followed others experiences and have learnt so much. At about 7 weeks I experienced a very down time but this forum and it's wonderful participants kept me on track.

Good luck and keep on here. Sue

• Posted

Hi Sue,

It has been a lifeline for me too. I am just a year older than you. Thank you for your input so much I need all the support I can get at this point in my recovery. 

Best wishes to you!

• Posted

😊 it is lovely to hear your appreciation, and a pleasure to help you!

• Posted

Benchmarks are general guidelines that do NOT apply to everyone.  You know that we're all different and heal at our own pace.  However, you have to work at it and not back off the exercises.  Gotta do them at home: heel slides and squats!!!  Be your own PT.  Does it hurt?  Yeah...that's what it takes to break down the scar tissue.  Better to have some pain now than to walk with a limp and a cane the rest of your life.

Get tough, get angry!!!  No excuses, do the work!!!  The worst person you let down is yourself so don't let that happen.  You will find a strength you never knew you had!!!  Remember...

"Anger is more useful than despair." - Arnold Schwarzenegger, Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines

• Posted

Thanks this is good! I will be more cooperative tomorrow as I do want scar tissue broken down 😬😬😬 it won’t kill me I just need to be tough and it only hurts for a quick second really and then it backs off. I will continue on more bravely I just have to I guess no choice lol

• Posted

Meds before PT...ice and elevate after.  Remember the chest-waxing scene from The 40-Year-Old Virgin with Steve Carell?  Just scream "Kelly Clarkson!!!" and "Richard Nixon!!!"  Easy...

• Posted

I went to gym first time and did bike thinking it might help with ROM did 20 min and at a level 2 resistance. Then tried heel slides at home. Feel a bit sore and tired now. But I am wondering if I should take a pain pill or an anti inflammatory?
    • Posted

I found heel slides very helpful . I did them on a spare shelf and marked my progress on it with a marker pen . I had the marks from my first TKR still on it , and could compare the difference between each knee . Used a different colour pen for each knee , and the results for each knee was different . As we have said no two TKRs are the same . My surgeon said in the recovery room "I've done my work , now it's time for you to do the hard work , it's pointless having the op if you aren't prepared to put in the work to recover".  Probably the best advise I was given .  I found it easy to exercise at home . 

• Posted

Start relying more on the anti-inflammatories and not the opioids.  Also, Voltaren Gel (RX in the US) is a great topical A/I...
    • Posted

Absolutely true.  You don't go through a TKR recovery laying around and expect it to get better all by itself.  This is a tough and long recovery...hard work, time and patience...

• Posted

Hope you get at least 30 years from your new knee , and hope I'm here to hear about it . lol

• Posted

I didn’t I just took an Advil’s instead of pain killer. I have the gel just need to figure out if I can use in conjunction with oral (Advil) anti inflammatory although the gel is less harmful than oral by some degree 
    • Posted

You can check on the "drugs dot" website for interactions but I don't think you will find any.  Both are anti-inflammatories.  I've used Voltaren for years especially for bursitis and I'm on all sorts of meds.  Voltaren is the second best on the planet behind only the very special green "Lotion" I get from my son in Colorado...by special mail...  Yes, it's just called "Lotion"...FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Posted

So Should I just then let PT move the leg to get the measurement when I can only go so far on my own even though it hurts & the pain can be quick and then it’s over

• Posted

The PT part of this experience lasts a very short time compared to the full year of recovery.  Yeah, it hurts.  So what?  There's a pill for that.  It's something we all have to endure and get past.  Once you have your full 0 / +120 ROM, you will not regret it.  Just get past it...the memory of the pain fades pretty quickly...well, kind of quickly...maybe...

• Posted

Thanks I can hit 120 with help but I just freaked out on Tuesday and insisted on 110 as I was afraid of push but I know how important it is and will try so hard to be brave while they do it. My hands sweat just thinking about it lol but I can and need to endure. I wish I could just drop the leg in for treatment razz
    • Posted

There's no "freaking out"...just isn't.  You're stronger than that but just don't realize it...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/tkr-strong-594566

There's also no having to meet someone else's expectations of you.  That's just wrong.  Do what you have to do to get past this...it will be over...when it's time to be over.  No one gets to set that date.  It happens when it happens.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.