that choking feeling

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all, 

As part of my anxiety for the last few months I frequently feel as if my throat is closing up and I'm about to choke. I can eat and drink fine, I know there nothing there. It just seems to hit and once it hits of course I concentrate on it more - and it makes it worse. As far as I can tell it seems to be quite a common problem. How do others deal with this, especially when it seems to last most of the day?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

This is a huge symptom for me, along with chest pain. It's absolutely horrible and totally consumes me. It's weird how anxiety can affect you I'm such horrible physical ways. But deep breathing helps, some one told me to breath in so much you fill your lungs to capacity, hold it in for 7 seconds then release for 11 seconds, sounds daft but really does work. X
    • Posted

Thanks cara I'll give that a go, I can't say I get chest pain, just the choking feeling. Do u get a persistany lump in the throat too?
    • Posted

Yes I get a horrible lump in my throat and feels like someone had a right grip around my neck and my throat is caving in. It's horrible. But I know there is nothing wrong with my throat, because it goes as quickly as it came. But I do get it very often. Have you been to your GP?
    • Posted

Its something I have had for a lot of years. Like u usually it would come and go. This time is seems to be staying, its been about a week or so. Some days it will go and it feels great, then it comes again. I end up swallowing too much to try and clear it - which never works, then it just ends up with more focus on it. I've been to my gp who said my throat is totally fine. They gave me a steroid nasal spray as I kept going back, but I haven't used it yet - I really don't like nasal sprays. They agreed to send me to ent - I think just to shut me up Lol I know there's nothing there, as I can eat and drink fine - sound familiar?
    • Posted

Yep I can eat and drink fine too. Have you read up on anxiety? My CBT therapist have me some great literature which really helped me understand why we get these bizarre symptoms. And the more you know about it and understand it, the less you worry it's something serious. I find that if I'm in a bad patch. Acupuncture really helps, like really really helps. They can do points that help that feeling in the throat. Helps me any way, perhaps worth a shot? 
  • Posted

same with me. i feel it everyday. i hate it. it's hard to deal with. i just wait and let it go.

• Posted

This is one of the scariest and most uncomfortable anxiety symptoms. Its an esophagus spasm. My gastro explained it to me long ago. As it also can occur with reflux and GERD people.  Nothing is really blocking the tube. mIndful excersies help this. Theres an app..three to five. minutes of it to calm you. I know you do not use any meds as a half of .025mg of xanax knocks that right out, the goal is to calm the spasm. Tense muscle whatever you want to call it.  I know yoga is written off as a female thing but it has a ton of very cool benifits. Certain body movements that honestly relax muscles. Very worth taking the classes so you properly learn the correct techniques and they will teach you breathing to boot. My theory here is surrounding this spasms load up on water. Reason is pliable muscles recover spasms fast. Its like protective trick so if it spasms it is able to recouperate itself at lightening speed.  Another avenue is acupuncture or acupressure and reflexology. Reflexology is best left to one who knows how to do this. Many spas have it available. Hard to really do on your own. 
    • Posted

Wow this. Year old post hahahaha nevermind

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.